Why I DID Rush, And Why I'm Glad I Did

Why I DID Rush, And Why I'm Glad I Did

Drop the stigma. It's time to hear the truth.

8
Why I DID Rush, And Why I'm Glad I Did
Tiffany Bounpaseuth

I recently came across an article titled Why I Didn’t Rush. I completely understand that the author was simply exercising her first amendment rights, but when it comes down to stereotypes and accusations, I just had to take the time to exercise my own rights and refute some of these statements. Being in a sorority myself, I found many flaws in her arguments, and while she is completely entitled to her opinion, I can’t let the truth about us sorority girls slip underneath the rug of deception.

1. I realized that I do belong

Much like you Ms. Roberts, I had my speculations on whether or not Greek Life was going to suit me or not, but I realized that I didn’t need to fit the mold of a typical sorority girl that so many people have misconceptions of. I found a home where I could 100 percent be myself and feel so welcomed and loved. I don’t have blonde hair, I don’t take Zumba classes, and I’d rather curl up with a book on a Friday night and eat potato chips. I'm a first generation Asian American and I'm sorry if it shocks you that not everyone is identical. I don’t pretend to like these girls, I love these girls because they have taught me more about life, love, and friendship than anyone else. Before my sorority, I was struggling to find a group of friends that uplifted and supported me, but thank God I found it with my sisters.

2. Moms are moms, not 'sorority moms'

I’m glad you put the disclaimer that not all sorority moms are how you have perceived them to be, because this is for sure not the case for many of my sisters and me. My mom dropped everything she had at home to come to America with a couple dollars and some change to make a better life for me. She still doesn’t know what a sorority is, much less care all too much, but she still tries. She is just busy working hard to provide food and a roof over my head and she shouldn’t be pinned down under a stereotype. Actually, she doesn’t deserve to be. P.S. My mom doesn’t even know what Lily Pulitzer or MAC is.

3. Money

Yup, it is really expensive, and this part I agree with you on for the most part. I am biased because I do think its worth it—and yes, I work hard over the summer to pay the bill myself. Every penny is worth it because I have developed lifelong friends that I will cherish forever and a great support group that I know I can go to anytime that will love on me whenever, wherever. I just didn’t want you to think that all of us are entitled and just handed the money.

4. Clean slate, but not a new me

Honestly, I was a dork too (yay, buddies!) and I spent most of my time studying, working and playing tennis. Coming into college though, I think we all have the idea that we want to make friends and I didn’t want to jump into a huge organization either, so I didn’t. I didn’t rush freshman year and boy did I regret it. I still felt like I was missing something—love, friendship, care, genuine care—so I jumped in Sophomore year and have loved every moment ever since, because the girls I’m surrounded with are just giving love like its free. But if you found it without rushing, then I am really happy for you too!

5. Sorority Functions are a 'Yea!'

Thank God I have an excuse to go out and take a break from studying endless hours a day. Formals, mixers, volunteering? My brain needs a break. I don’t have an easy schedule either. I'm right on track with keeping my GPA up and taking 17-18 hours, not to mention I’m double majoring in Sociology and Biology, so don’t think it’s an easy road for me either.

6. Rushing

It sounds ridiculous in theory, but it's actually really fun. You get to meet so many different people with so many personalities, and I strongly believe that going through rush has greatly improved my people skills and taught me how to properly interact with people and make great first impressions while sticking true to who I am. Of course, that is just my opinion just as the latter is yours. However, may I point out that while you consistently point out that we are essentially judging each other through this whole process, you have been judging sorority girls throughout your own article. Slightly hypocritical, but we are all guilty of something.

7. The Stigma Needs to be Defied

Here is the truth: every sorority is different on every single campus. As a whole, it is wrong to put a stigma on a sorority just because of its reputation at that particular school, however, I’m fully aware that this problem exists. What I will say is that your future employer will not base who you are based off of the sorority that you were in, and if they do? Well, that is immature and childish and I don’t think I want to work for somebody who measures your character by what sorority you were in. I am an individual thriving in an organization, so having any preconception of who I am is childish.

8. Time Commitment

Thank you for sticking to your opinion and not throwing stereotypes around on this one. This is your personal choice and in no way will I disrespect that, so I don’t have much to say.

Ms. Roberts, I didn’t write this to disrespect you, nor discredit your opinion in any way. This by no means was meant to be a personal attack. I read your article (multiple times) and simply saw that there were parts of your article that were pretty judgmental statements and I simply had to reveal the truth about us ‘sorority girls.’ Your article gained impressive ground and I had to stop the spread of the stigma we are already burdened with. We have feelings too, and if I’m going to be quite honest, some of the things you said were hurtful. In no way do we feel entitled or privileged. We all come from different backgrounds, different socioeconomic classes, different cultures, and different religions, but it’s so amazing to see how we can all put our differences aside and come together in one organization and love each other all the same. That is the truth about sororities. We aren’t perfect molds of each other, rather we are different but are able to see each other as equal. To put these stereotypes upon us (and trust me, you aren’t the first) is quite insensitive. I just ask that you stick to your opinion, which I can respect without challenge, because you have your personal reasons. I don’t want to create a division between non-Greek and Greek students, because there simply is no difference between us. I could be even more similar to someone who is not in Greek life than someone who is, but it doesn’t matter. Ms. Roberts, your last paragraph held more truth than the rest of your article. It is certainly the individuals decision on whether or not they want to rush, but please don't try to say something that isn't true. So, in essence, whether or not you have letters, the only thing that defines who you are is who God created you to be.