Resolutions We Can All Stick To This New Year.

1. Be more kind. No, I don't mean that you have to always go out of your way to be overly kind, or do anything drastic if you don't want to, but even a simple smile at the passerby on the street can lift them up more than you know. So go out there and smile at someone. Tell them you life their shoes, or that their hair is styled nice. I don't know, just do something nice.

2. Laugh more, stress less. Is it just me or does it seem like everyone in this day and age is so busy and stressed? Make an effort to see the bright side in your daily life, even if you accidentally put salt in your coffee...two times in a row. Don't sweat the small stuff. Laugh it off.

3. Get more sleep. Referring back to point number 2, this doesn't really seem possible, I know. However, sleep is so important for us. It affects all aspects of our lives including our mood, brain function, and even our weight. Instead of staying up until 2 every night streaming Netflix and pinning pins, go to bed at 1. Then, go to bed at 12, 11, and so on. Eventually, your body will adjust to the new normal, and you will be more rested and ready for the day when you awake.

4. Put back 5 dollars a week. Did you know that 5 dollars a week turns into 260 dollars at the end of the year? You can always add a little more, or a little less. When the year is up you can treat yourself to something you have had your eye on, or just work on building up a hefty rainy day fund. Whatever floats your boat.

5. Learn something new each day. Really, I believe that we already do this, but we just don't stop and think about it. For example, last week I learned that Caesar dressing is made with...ANCHOVIES. Unfortunately, this completely ruined Caesar salad for me (sorry if it does for you too), but nonetheless I learned something. At the end of the day I was a bit wiser, and that's all I can ask for, even if the knowledge I gain destroys me from the inside out.

6. Be a bit healthier. By this I don't mean that you should set unreasonable health goals that are bound to fail. Health is not a spur of the moment decision that is accomplished over night. It is a lifestyle that takes time to adjust to. With that being said, I am not the healthiest person myself, but I am going to make an effort to maybe just have 1 donut instead of 2. You know, baby steps. On a side note, this could include trying to be more active during the day whether that involves taking a quick walk around the neighborhood or doing jumping jacks while watching TV. Get that heart pumping.