10 Things You Have To Talk About Before Moving In Together

Don’t Move In Together Unless You Can Check Off These 10 Requirements

Are you in it for the long run, or only until the lease is up?

1

We all come into relationships with our own baggage. But when we move in together, we bring a whole new set of baggage—physical and emotional. Moving in together is an amazing (and huge) step in a relationship. But before you take the leap, it's important to check off some necessary requirements.

1. You've discussed your financials.

You're aware of each other's financial situation and you each know how things are going to be split when you're living under the same roof.

2. You've talked about how you're going to split up responsibilities.

Is it going to be a 50/50 split of cleaning, cooking, and dishes? Or is it going to be a more individual thing?

3. You have similar routines.

You might work late and like to sleep in, and they might like to get up early and go workout. Or you might both get ready at the same time in the morning, and run into issues splitting the bathroom. Different routines are part of any partnership, but worth mapping out.

4. You've discussed your future as a couple.

It's important to know that you two are on the same page about your future—it would be awful to find out that one person is expecting marriage and the other person is in it only until the lease is up once you've already moved in.

5. You're okay with each other's weird habits and quirks.

We all have some weird living habits. But when you move in with someone, you have to be okay with living with someone else's weird habits too, and be ready to compromise with some of your own. But if there's any habits that you just can't live with (or vice versa), it's important you know them before you make the big decision of moving in together.

6. You've talked about your expectations of cleanliness.

Clean to you might not be clean to someone else. Figure out what your standards for cleanliness are, and then what both of you are going to do to help keep your shared environment clean.

7. You know each other's long-term goals (and you're cool with them)

Have you planned and discussed your future plans with each other and alone?

8. You know what stuff both of you are keeping/throwing out.

Whether you're moving into one person's apartment or a new place entirely, you need to know what you're willing to compromise, get rid of, and what you have to keep, so you don't end up with overflowing objects that lead to overflowing problems.

9. You designate some space and time to yourselves.

It's important to have a little me-time. And it's important to let the other person know that this space isn't distance from each other, it's just time to do your own thing.

10. You'll keep the romance alive.

It's important to get some boring stuff out of the way, but at the end of the day, don't get bogged down by the chore of everything. You're dating, and you're moving in together, for a reason. Enjoy it.