Note To Self: Only You Can Make Yourself Happy

We all need the reminder every once and awhile.

1517
Megan Thorpe

Be happy. It sounds so simple, doesn’t it? However, when you face reality, “being happy” may not seem like such an easy task.

I can vouch for that. There have been plenty of times (including lately) where I have been brought down by stress, school, boys, the whole works, and I just want to listen to my sad Spotify playlists and mope around.

While you may think that this is the best idea at the time, in the long run it is only going to make things harder on you. You control your own happiness, and that happiness is going to be nowhere to be found if you do not believe in it.

For those of you who know me personally, you all know I have been single for all but maybe a total of five months out of my nineteen years of life. I often joke about how I could easily write a comedic book or movie script about my love life, as the sorts of things I’ve gone through are easily laughable. I swear I’m not exaggerating, some of my friends have often agreed and said the same things.

That being said, for a long time I thought I truly wasn’t “happy” unless I had someone there for me, to talk to, and to enjoy the company of. Looking back I sure was crazy, wasn’t I? Something clicked after enduring a toxic relationship, and I realized I was the maker of my own happiness. I didn’t need someone around me to make me feel better, just as I didn’t need someone constantly trying to pull me down.

It’s all a mind game. You control your life, you can typically control the highs and the lows, you are the one that controls your happiness.

----------

Everyone channels their happiness in different ways. For those of you struggling to smile and keep a positive outlook, there are endless outlets to use to help yourself.

For me, exercise is the one thing I can count on to boost my mood or help me calm down after a stressful day. Your body releases endorphins while you exercise, leaving a positive feeling behind. Some of you may have heard of the term “runner’s high”, which is a perfect example of how exercise can leave you feeling “euphoric” and energized.

Not all people are into that sort of exercise, which is okay. Other options include yoga and pilates, which focus more on your mind and body and can be considered a more calming experience.

Find a hobby or your passion. Read a good book. Paint. Write poetry or short stories. Volunteer.

Find whichever one speaks to you and go forward with it. In the words of Dalai Lama XIV, “Happiness is not something ready-made. It comes from your own actions.”