Remembering 9/11, Now 16 Years Later

Remembering 9/11, Now 16 Years Later

I may not remember that day, but I do remember all the days that followed.

212
Remembering 9/11, Now 16 Years Later
Wallpaper Safari

September 11th, 2017. This is the first time in 16 years that I will not be home on the dreadful anniversary of 9/11.

I was born in Queens, New York. Often times a forgotten borough when tourists think of New York City. From my apartment window, you could see Shea Stadium and planes taking off and landing at LaGuardia airport. If you looked carefully though, you could see the Twin Towers standing boldly, an icon to the infamous New York City skyline.

Although I moved upstate, New York City was never too far away. Physically it was only a short train ride away and figuratively, it was always in my heart.

Thirty-Five. 35 is the number of miles the world trade center was from my new house when a plane went crashing into it at 8:45 AM on Tuesday, September 11th, 2001.

I do not remember much about the day itself for I was only four years old. I do remember the panic at the pre-school and having to leave minutes after arriving. I remember my Dad coming home from work early and my parents frantically making phone calls. I remember the news being on instead of Barney. I remember leaving New York during the middle of the night and driving to Florida because our flight was canceled. All the flights were canceled.

As the years got passed along, I had a better understanding of what actually happened on that horrific day. 9/11 became a day of remembrance. The adults would be reminded of where they were and what they were doing the exact moment they heard a plane had hit the towers. The look on their faces would tell it all and how that will be stuck with them forever.

This day was often quieter than most. There were friends who lost loved ones and loved ones who lost friends. You could feel the emotion in my community. Every TV was streaming the annual memorial service reading off the names of the victims and first responders. Your heart drops a little when you hear a name you know.

Our nation will never be the same again.

But just because we will never be the same again does not mean we are weaker by any means.

I might not remember the day itself but I do remember what came after it. The United States did not back down. We continued to rise to the top. And 10 years later, we captured and killed Osama Bin Laden. In this moment we have regained the nationalism which had been absent the past 10 years.

Another three years passed by and by November 3rd, 2014 New York City welcomed her newest, and tallest building to add to her skyline. The Freedom Tower. I can remember when it opened my school made it a priority to take us to the museum and fountain memorials. She glistened in the sunlight. People from all over the world were there admiring her beauty but at the same time, getting a glimpse of what it felt like to be an American on September 11th, 2001.

We cannot erase the past nor can we forget it. However, I am proud to see how, as a nation, we have taken one of the worst days in American history and created something beautiful. People stand just a little bit taller for the pledge of allegiance and sing just a little bit louder for the national anthem.

We will never forget- September 11, 2001.