7 Essential Details To Remember When Planning YOUR Wedding

Recently I've been really struggling to figure out what to do for my wedding. This isn't because I don't know what I want, but because deciding anything ultimately effects someone. I decide I want to do it this year but this year doesn't work for Denise, so I could do it the year after, but Susie Q is going back to school and that conflicts with her schedule.

I could do a small, simple wedding, but my Grandma always wanted me to get married in a Church. Oh, what about a destination wedding? Well, that would work for a lot of people, but not Tiffany-she can't afford it…Becky has other obligations the only week my favorite resort is open in my dream year of getting married. Maybe a courthouse wedding? Yeah, I could do that…but my dad always dreamed of walking me down the aisle.

You see ladies-I'm freaking exhausted.

I'm exhausted trying to plan the wedding that EVERYONE ELSE BUT MYSELF wants me to have. I'm tired of having to justify why I want something to someone else. I'm tired of having to reason with people. I'm tired of feeling bad for not accommodating others.

I'm just mentally and physically exhausted planning my own wedding-something I really wanted to enjoy.

In times of frustration, I've scribbled down a few reminders to mutter to myself when things get a little chaotic. It's important in some way or another-we embed these thoughts into our minds because honestly? We deserve to be reminded, even if it's us doing the reminding.

THIS IS YOUR DAMN DAY!

It's weird we even have to tell ourselves this right? I mean we are the ones shelling out thousands, spending late nights planning centerpieces, and trying to find the perfect photographer. Sadly, yes, we have to remind ourselves because of a lot of people that know you close to you or not-will try to make it about them. ---It's your day. It's your day. It's your day.

Not everyone is going to be pleased with your decisions.

I'm a people pleaser. I thoroughly enjoy searching for ways to make everyone happy because I get insane anxiety from thinking anyone is mad at me. ESPECIALLY when it's someone I deeply care for. However, there is no way I'm able to get approval from everyone I really love. No matter what I decide, someone won't be able to make it, another won't like the dress, and someone else may be furious you're serving meat when they're vegetarian. YOU CAN NOT WIN, so stop trying to win for other people. Just win for yourself.

Whoever makes it about them is selfish.

It sounds harsh, I know, but ask yourself this one question: "Would you ever make THEIR day about you?" The answer is probably no. Me personally, no matter who it was my brother, best friend, or cousin-I would not make their day about me. Even if I hated the dress she chose, even if she picked a date that I couldn't make, even if my brother ran off to elope…It's their damn day-not mine. I would never make it about me because *drum roll *: it's not about me. If you're constantly double checking and worrying about people being upset by something YOU decided for YOUR wedding on YOUR day, then those people are shitty because they have made it about them, and that's extremely selfish.

The people who love you will be supportive with whatever you decide.

My fiance and I have decided on a destination wedding. There are a lot of reasons why, and ultimately it just ended up working the best for us. With deciding this-we knew a lot of people:

A.) Wouldn't be able to make it

B.) Wouldn't be able to afford it

C.) Wouldn't want to travel outside of the country

D.) Have other obligations that prevent them from attending

Never ONCE did we get angry or upset with anyone who straight up said-"Hey I know I won't be able to swing this." We get it, and it was just a risk we were willing to take. However, some people were still mad about our decision-even though it wasn't their decision to make. However, there are so many people that have been nothing but supportive, and that love and support have been something I'll never forget. For as many people that make it difficult for you, you'll have another handful who will make it a day to remember. There's always some silver lining in the mix at some point.

You DO NOT owe anyone an explanation or justification.

-Why have I felt the need to justify to friends, family, and my own bridal party WHY I'm deciding on something for my wedding? The last time I checked it was my wedding, right? Listen because this is super important: You don't need to justify anything you want for your wedding to anyone that isn't your fiance. You want it at a certain location-not anyone else's decision. Do you want to have it in the middle of the winter? Not anyone else's decision. Do you want to have the bridal party wearing cowboy boots with their dresses? NOT THEIR FREAKING DECISION. Stop feeling bad and explaining yourself for something YOU WANT TO HAPPEN on YOUR DAY! If you remember anything from this article-remember that.

Life happens

Life is always unpredictable. There will be things that arise during your planning that you didn't anticipate. Though it's easier said than done, try not to let it alter your day or attitude. Some people you love won't be able to make it, your dream venue may be booked up the year you desperately want to get married in, a bridesmaid may drop out, and a caterer might screw up a dish. This shit happens, but your guests won't care one way or the other. As long as you don't let this ruin your wedding experience overall-everything will be okay…That's something I can promise.

All that matters at the end of the day is that you're married to the person you want to spend your life with

In all of the chaos that has already arisen (still pretty far away from my wedding) I have been telling myself from the beginning that at the end of the day I only really care about being the wife to the guy I love. Every time someone says something to hurt me tries to talk me out of something I feel passionate about doing or informs me of something intentionally meant to stress me out-I breathe, tell myself I'll marry a guy that I love, and move on with my business. I'm not saying it never gets to me, but the thought of spending my life with my fiance excites me more than these people's negative thoughts stress me out. At the end of all of this, you won't look back at your wedding and think of all the things you didn't like because you'll be too busy gleaming over the fact it happened. You're lucky enough to find someone you WANT to spend your life with, and seriously not everyone is lucky enough to say that. Though it's challenging, try to remember people are selfish, and not everyone has your best interest at heart. However, there are ALWAYS people that'll go above and beyond to make you focus on yourself, and I'm lucky to have some of those people apart of my special day. So when it gets stressful and yes it will get stressful…remember that you've got this. It's your day, and you can do whatever the hell you want with it.

Sincerely,

The Bride-To-Be