6 Things You Can Do To Relax During Finals

These activities will help keep you focused and give you a break.

176
AlifyaLifestyle

With finals quickly approaching, it can be easy to get sucked into a constant state of worry and panic. While in this state, it is difficult to give yourself even just 15 minutes to sit down and take a break from studying, practicing, or writing.

Even though you might want to just keep going, it is beneficial to take a break every now and then. Although I have not mastered the art of stress relief, I have discovered several little things I can do to help myself relax not only during finals week, but during the whole school year.

1. Keep a Journal

I know it feels so middle school to write in a “diary,” but even just taking 10 minutes to write about your life once a week can be very beneficial. Not only can you remember everything that you did when you look through it years later, but you can also help rationalize all of your fears and doubts about life.

2. Listen to a Good Playlist

Music is the center of my entire world. I can’t go a few hours without listening to music, so I created playlists for a lot of different moods and vibes. Something helpful to de-stress could even just be a playlist of your favorite songs or bands to put you in a good mood (check mine out here).

3. Read a Book

There is certainly enough reading to do in college classes, but sometimes it is easy to forget that there are so many wonderful books to read for personal enjoyment. Even just taking 10 minutes a day to do something for you can make a difference. Check out some suggestions of some of my favorite books here.

4. Call Your Parents

I know not everyone is close with their parents, but for me personally, talking to my parents whenever I’m stressed really calms me down. Sometimes, it can be difficult to talk to a friend about the stress of schools because they might be going through the same thing or be even more worn down than you, so it can be nice to get an outside perspective to help get you back on track.

5. Make a “Like List”

Sometimes it can be easy to think about everything you don’t like about what your doing and just life in general, so some of my friends and I decided to make lists of everything we like. If you like to organize things like me, you can even color code your list by food, people, entertainment, objects, etc.

6. Find a Good YouTube Channel or Short TV Show

While it can be very difficult to take the time to binge-watch a show in college, finding a sitcom, reality show, or YouTube channel can aid in relieving some stress. I like to watch these things before I go to bed or while I get ready in the morning as a great way to start my day. I recommend checking out FBE and its affiliated channels on YouTube and watching a comedy sitcom such as “The Office,” “Parks and Recreation,” or “Scrubs,” even if you’ve already seen the content before. Just spending the time to watch something funny that you enjoy can greatly improve your mood.