It's OK To Be Sad Your Significant Other Moved Away

It's OK To Feel A Little Lost After Your Significant Other Moves Away

Must be love on the brain.

82

This weekend I went back to college and my boyfriend and I said goodbye (for now).

Now that I'm back at school, I feel weird. When I moved into my dorm, I felt empty and a little sad. To be honest, I was a little shocked how quickly I felt the loss.

I thought I'd be fine. Long-distance relationships suck... everyone knows that. But I'm strong, so I didn't think the distance would make me so sad.

I've lived with him all summer and he was a part of my life every day. We really aren't even long-distance. I mean, he's just a few hours away, right? Well... he's not a train ride away.

I miss him, but I know he's here for me all the same. Nothing about our relationship has changed, just how often we see each other.

Honestly, after a while, I got used to having him around all the time. Now I feel lonely, but not in the sense that I don't have anyone. I have friends and they're awesome. I just feel a little empty. When you love someone, you want them with you all the time. When that person goes away all of a sudden, it's going to hurt.

Why do I feel so guilty for feeling this way? I shouldn't have to justify how I feel.

I just keep reminding myself that our relationship is strong and it can handle some distance. Our time together will be even more special now.

To couples out there who just started a long-distance relationship and feel guilty for being sad, I feel you. Your feelings are valid, and you don't need to think you're crazy for feeling this way. Love does funny things to the brain. Trust me, I know.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.