Your Relationship With The Guy You're Mentally Dating

He's perfect because you've never met!

906
Oh No they Didn't

It all starts out pretty normally.

Let's be clear: you've never actually met this guy. You might have just seen him across the room and your jaw dropped. Or you saw him in passing and you couldn't help glancing back when he walked away. Or maybe you just saw him pop up on your newsfeed and you knew, "This is the one."

So you remember his face, you remember the encounter, you remember everything about this perfect second in your life. Because you've already planned your first date, your anniversary plans, your reaction when he proposes, the wedding, your kids' names, etc.

It's your typical healthy relationship. You never talk, since you never actually met. You never see him except for those glorious moments you happen to walk by him on campus or manage to find a seat within thirty feet of him in the library. He's totally faithful because you've never seen him do anything unfaithful.

Overall, he is the perfect boyfriend. (Especially perfect, because you can go out and do whatever you want every Saturday night, and he'll never be upset about it! What a gentleman.)

Of course, no relationship is perfect.

Because then you see him out one of those Saturday nights. And before you can become so excited that your perfect, beautiful boyfriend with a 4.0 GPA (probably) who is super athletic (you assume) and the sweetest guy in the world (we think) and the entirely greatest person anyone has ever met in their life (maybe?), you realize...

He's flirting with someone else.

You don't know what to do! You have so many emotions! Should you set him on fire? Do you also set the girl he's with on fire? Are you supposed to set yourself on fire afterwards?!

Mentally you destroy every memory you made up of yourself, how dare he ever betray you -- the girl he never knew existed. How dare he flirt with another girl right in front of your face when he doesn't even know you're there?!

He's so terrible.

But then you realize something.

His friend is even cuter than he was.

And suddenly, you have a whole new set of memories and scenarios to concoct for yourself. You totally forgot about that other guy whose name you never knew anyway.

And besides, you are so much better off without him, just as you were before you never met.