Break Ups Suck, But That Doesn't Mean Your Life Has To

Losing someone you have grown so close to is difficult, but do not let that shape how your life will turn out.

103

I was dating the same guy for the past 3+ years. We grew together, loved each other, and were each others' best friends. Unfortunately, we grew together... in separate ways. We loved each other... in different ways. We were each others' best friends... just not when it was convenient. He was the love of my life and losing him has been the hardest thing I have ever had to overcome. I mean, we lived together and had dogs.

We broke it off not too long ago. There was a point in time where I was at a crossroad. Do I move on and live my life or do I regret leaving him and think about it every day? My answer is both. We tried for a long time to make things work, but here's the thing: we were two completely different people and THAT IS OKAY. Will I always love him?

Absolutely. I know that we have tried everything in our power to make things work, but it wasn't the right time. Moving on is the only option I have to have a healthy mindset; however, no matter what happens, I will always think about him. And you know what? THAT IS OKAY.

If this is happening to you, it is 100% okay to hold a special place in your heart for someone you have spent so much time with, but do not blame yourself for it not working. If you are hung up on the same person for too long after the relationship ends, you will not experience a healed heart. It is okay to let go physically and it is okay to not let go emotionally.

Just do not let it occupy your entire life. If he comes back, great! If not, great.

You are your own person.

Do not move your life around someone else's life.

He saved my life and he made me realize my worth and for that, I will always thank him. I am growing and I am very thankful I realized that it is okay.