Reiki: Energy Based Japanese Stress Relief

I tried a complimentary therapy offered in hospitals across the nation.

13
Trudy Trujillo

Many of us are very busy. As a full-time student, employee and volunteer, I understand the struggle. It is a sad reality and even more difficult to sort out. If you don’t, it gets to you after a while. You become tired, cranky and miserable and may even slip on a few of your responsibilities (yikes!).

It is rough, but over the years I have been getting a better feel for effective time management and setting a schedule for myself. However, for a healthy mind sometimes you just have to clear it. Vacations can be time consuming as well as a higher financial standard so I tried the smaller escapes. Examples include yoga, working out and meditation. For the most part they work, but what’s life if you don’t try anything new?

A friend of mine recently started to practice reiki, an ancient Japanese practice that is said to help heal the mind, body and soul. It focuses of energies of the chakras, certain areas of your body such as the head, heart, throat and feet. Speaking to her and doing my own research I was able to get a better understanding of its benefits. Turns out there are many health benefits to follow and numerous hospitals and doctors are adopting the practice to help with their patients.

The site for International Association of Reiki Professionals states that reiki is now one of the top three complementary in-patient therapies offered in hospitals around the country. It has even been taken on by cancer hospitals such as Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. In the medical setting, reiki is said to help with pain management, oncology, cardiology, terminal illness, pregnancy and more! It set the awesome example with what a healthy mind can accomplish.

With what I found in my research, my hopes were high. I was not disappointed at all. I took to my first experience very well, which is very surprising for someone like me. Tip: be very open to it.

To start, they cleanse the room with sage which helps the energy in the room to become very calm and still. Then she had me lay facing up on a massage table while holding two clear crystals by my sides and covered me with a light, soft blanket. She then sprayed the room with a mix of lavender and sage which created a warm, but light scent to the room. I closed my eyes and she stool next to the bed and asked me what I would like to focus on such as stress, anxiety and so on. Also, to think about anyone on the other side that I want to help me through it. Next, standing at my head I could hear her rub her hands together and then hold them over my face. I could smell the oil she rubbed on them and it helped create a warm feeling that was just less than the sun. I have never felt so relaxed so quickly. I felt light, calm and still. Maybe I am even searching for a word such as humble. Like nothing can touch me, not even my overactive thoughts. She continued to hold her hands over my body all the way down to my toes. As she held my bare feet, they felt like I was easing into warm, soft clay.

After, she fixed me some herbal tea and spoke to me about my experience with it. How did I feel about it? What do I feel works? She also advised me to keep hydrating to help with the increased circulation.

I recommend anyone and everyone to give it a try. The key to a healthier life physically and emotionally and a successful life is not only a healthy heart, but a healthy mind.