Get Out And Vote!

Get Out And Vote!

If you truly want to see change, go out and VOTE.

93
Get Out And Vote!
Wikimedia

Back in 2016, I vividly remember asking people my age if they voted in the election. Being only 17 at the time, I wished I could be able to elect the President as I was already registered to vote. I remember one person telling me that they didn't vote because "nothing is going to change anyways." Another person told me that they simply didn't care enough to go out to vote because "both candidates sucked." Meanwhile, another person said that they didn't vote because they were just too lazy to go out to the booths.

During the Presidential election in 2016, only 19% of voters ages 18-29 (aka what many people call millennials) expressed their right to vote. Meanwhile, 25% of voters were ages 30-44, 40% were ages 45-64, and only 16% of voters were 65 and over. While millennials did have a slight higher percentage than the voters who were 65 and older, 9% of millennials voted for either another candidate (as in an Independent or Green Party member), or abstained, while only 3% of elders voted for a different party of abstained.

Clearly, young people are not doing as well when it comes to voter turnout.

Based off of the graph, the largest turnout for the voters 18-29 years old was when 50% of millennials showed up at the voting booths back in 2008 when the race was between President Barack Obama and Senator John McCain. The 2016 election turnout for millennials was fairly close to the 2008 election- about 5% less than what we saw in 2008 but still, way less than other age groups.

Now more than ever it is crucial that young people make their voices heard. Facebook debates or retweeting/liking a tweet do not count as votes. Going out and marching does make your voice heard, however it does not get you to the polls. At the March For Our Lives, I saw many young adults holding their signs tall and proud. I heard them chant loudly, "enough is enough" and "no more". As I stood there among my peers, I wondered to myself just how many of these people will actually go out to the polls and vote come midterm season. If you truly want to see change, then go out and VOTE.

Registering to vote is not hard at all. Contrary to popular belief, you do NOT have to be 18 to register. The only time you have to be 18 years old is when it is time to vote. When you get your drivers license, you are eligible to register. At any military recruitment center, you can register. Some states even allow you to register online (check here to see if your state offers online registration). So the argument that it is too much effort to register to vote is invalid as you could literally lay in bed and register within ten minutes.

Do not let your constitutional right go to waste. It is your guaranteed right to participate in elections. If you want to see the change you want come midterm elections (occurring on November 6, 2018), it won't happen unless you get out and VOTE.

To find out more information regarding midterm elections, click here.