Why Recruitment Is The Most Stressful Time For Greeks

A look at both the opinion of an active and a potential new member
195

For Greek life organizations everywhere it's recruitment season. The time where we try and try to get amazing people to join our organization and be a part of something bigger than themselves. That being said, it's stressful for both the actives and the potential new members (PNMs) to go through this process.

For the PNMs it can be a number of things that stress you out. With this being my first recruitment as an active I speak the truth when I say just walking into the room as a PNM is scary.

You don't know what you will be asked or what you should say in response to their questions. You just know you want to be involved and you like this organization's way of being involved. My advice to someone in a position I was in just last semester would be to ask questions. We as actives want to see that you are interested in our organization and this also gives us insight into your values and beliefs.

Also, another word of advice to potential new members, be honest with the actives. If you just want to wear a pair of letters and say you are in a sorority then a Greek life organization is not the place for you. Greek life is about more than just letters or parties, it's about being a part of a community. By lying to an active, you will decrease the trust and bonds that have been created by that community. Just be yourself and I promise you will find your place.

Now as for the actives I know it's stressful having to decide whether a person is the right fit for your organization or not. Just use your best judgement and think about whether you could see this PNM being an integral part of the organization. If you don't see them fitting in well or being involved then maybe they aren't right for your organization.

Recruitment is rough on everyone and it's easy for good people to slip through the cracks or feel like they won't find their place. Trust me when I tell you, if you are honest, kind, and looking to be involved then a Greek organization is the place for you and you will find your home among the many chapters on your college campus.