A Recap of MLB's Opening Day and Season Predictions

16

From the moment that the 2014 World Series ended with a victory by the National League's San Francisco Giants, baseball fans have waited anxiously for Opening Day 2015. All 30 teams reported to Spring Training in either Florida or Arizona in February, playing about 25 pre-season games to get ready for the regular season. Even actor Will Ferrell got into the spirit of spring training by playing in nine different games for nine different teams on the same day.

While the Cubs and Cardinals started the season on Sunday Night Baseball, with the Cardinals winning 3-0. Monday, April 6th was the official Opening Day for Major League Baseball. On Opening Day, 28 teams took the field for their first regular season games of the year. Here is a recap of all of the Opening Day match ups.

Toronto Blue Jays vs. New York Yankees: 6-1 Toronto
The Blue Jays had a 6-1 win over the Yankees with a great third inning, where they scored five of their six runs against Yankee pitcher Masahiro Tanaka. Scoring for Toronto were Kevin Pillar, Devon Travis, Jose Reyes, Edwin Encarnacion (homer) and Russel Martin. Scoring for New York was Brett Gardner with a home run.

Minnesota Twins vs. Detroit Tigers: 4-0 Detroit
The Tigers took a 4-0 win over the Twins, scoring in the bottom of both the second and sixth innings. Scoring for Detroit were J.D. Martinez (homer), Alex Avila (homer) and Yoenis Cespedes. Cespedes scored in the second off of a double and a triple in the sixth.

Colorado Rockies vs. Milwaukee Brewers: 10-0 Colorado
The Rockies beat the Brewers 10-0 in a big scoring game. Starting from the top of the first, Carlos Gonzalez, Troy Tulowitzki, Corey Dickerson and Nolan Arenado all scored. Then in the top of the third, Nolan Arenado hit a homer, and Troy Tulowitzki also scored after double. In the top of the fourth Kyle Kendrick, Carlos Gonzalez, Troy Tulowitzki, and Nolan Arenado scored again on a series of doubles. It looks like Colorado could have a pretty great season ahead if they keep these three players starting. However, their pitching needs to be good throughout the entire season.

Boston Red Sox vs. Philadelphia Phillies: 8-0 Boston

The Red Sox took the win in an action-packed game against the Phillies in an intra-league contest. Dustin Pedroia hit a homer in the first and again in the fifth innings. Mookie Betts follows suit and hit a homer in the third. Hanley Ramirez hit a homer in the fifth inning. The ninth inning brought huge action as Hanley Ramirez hit a grand slam causing Allen Craig, Mookie Betts and Mike Napoli to score.

Baltimore Orioles vs. Tampa Bay Rays: 6-2 Baltimore
The Orioles beat the Rays 6-2. Scoring for Baltimore were Alejandro De Aza, Caleb Joseph, Manny Machado, Steve Pearce and Ryan Flaherty. Scoring for Tampa Bay were Evan Longoria (homer) and Kevin Kiermaier.

New York Mets. vs. Washington Nationals: 3-1 New York
The Mets took the W over the Nationals in a close 3-1 game. Scoring for the Mets were Curtis Granderson, David Wright and Juan Laggers. Bryce Harper scored a home run in the bottom of the 4th, for the Nats only score.

Atlanta Braves va. Miami Marlins: 2-1 Atlanta
The Braves beat the Marlins 2-1 in their low-scoring game. Scoring for the Braves were Jace Peterson in the first and Eric Young Jr. in the sixth. Scoring for the Marlins were Henderson Alvarez off of a line drive by Dee Gordon in the third inning.

Chicago White Sox vs. Kansas City Royals: 10-1 Royals
The Royals showed up the White Sox with a 10-1 victory. Scoring for the White Sox was Jose Abreu with a home run in the seventh inning. Scoring for the Royals were Kendrys Morales, Alcides Escobar, Lorenzo Cain, Mike Moustakas (homer), and Alex Gordon. Kansas City is yet another team that had a great day with just four of their players putting up big plays.

Los Angeles Angels vs. Seattle Mariners: 4-1 Mariners
Seattle took the win against the Los Angeles Angles with a 4-1 win. LA started off strong with a home-run by Mike Trout in the first inning, but failed to keep the momentum alive. Scoring for the Mariners were Austin Jackson, Seth Smith, Dustin Ackley (homer) and Brad Miller.

Pittsburg Pirates vs. Cincinnati Reds: 5-2 Cincinnati
The Reds beat the Pirates in a 5-2 victory. Billy Hamilton, Jay Bruce (homer), Todd Frazier (homer) and Joey Votto scored for the Reds. Scoring for the Pirates were Andrew McCutchen (homer) and Josh Harrison.

San Diego Padres vs. Los Angeles Dodgers: 6-3 Dodgers
The Dodgers took the win against the Padres in a game that pitted two teams from the same state against each other. Scoring for the Dodgers were Adrian Gonzalez (homer), Howie Kendrick, Joc Pederson and Andre Ethier. Will Myers, Clint Barmes and Derek Norris scored for the Padres.

Cleveland Indians vs. Houston Astros: 2-0 Houston
The Astros beat the Indians 2-0. Jose Altuve scores in the sixth inning and Jed Lowrie scores in the eighth inning.

Texas Rangers vs. Oakland Athletics: 8-0 Oakland
The Athletics showed that they were in fact more athletic, as they beat the Rangers 8-0. Scoring for Oakland were Ben Zobrist (homer), Sam Fuld, Ike Davis, Stephen Vogt (homers), Billy Butler, Brett Lawrie and Eric Sogard.

San Fransisco Giants vs. Arizona Diamondbacks: 5-4 San Francisco
The Giants beat the Diamondbacks 5-4 in a very close game. Joe Panik, Nori Aoki, Angel Pagan and Casey McGehee all scored for the Giants. Scoring for the D-Backs were Ender Inciarte, Paul Goldschmidt and Aaron Hill.

Now here are my predictions for the 2015 season:

NL East: Washington Nationals

NL Central: Pittsburgh Pirates

NL West: LA Dodgers

NL Wildcards: St. Louis Cardinals and San Francisco Giants

AL East: Boston Red Sox

AL Central: Detroit Tigers

AL West: Seattle Mariners

AL Wildcards: Baltimore Orioles and LA Angels

World Series: Washington Nationals beat the Seattle Mariners (this is a little biased, as I'm a huge Nats fan!)