6 Reasons Why Writers Should Write, From A Writer Herself

6 Convincing Reasons For Writers To Write, From A Writer's Perspective

If you're curious to know why you should write, even when you feel like giving up, read on to get some motivation and, hopefully, some new inspiration.

13

Writing is obviously my favorite art form of all time. It's versatile, it's substantial, and it serves a variety of purposes. As someone who has been writing for online publications for two years so far, I can tell you that sometimes it really does get tough: that dreaded writer's block, feeling like you're not good enough compared to other writers, and the list goes on and on. But if you're curious to know why you should write, even when you feel like giving up, read on to get some motivation and, hopefully, some new inspiration.

1. Writing organizes your thoughts.

Studying Wake Up GIF by Lily Padula - Find & Share on GIPHY Giphy

If you have a million tabs open in your brain like I tend to do, you know the feeling of trying (and failing) to get your thoughts out properly all too well. Have you ever written them down onto paper (or computer, smartphone, what have you)? It's an exhilarating feeling you can practice more often, as it will clear your mind as you go.

2. It helps you find your voice.

media.giphy.com

Does your writing tend to take a more serious tone? Or more light-hearted and humorous? The only way you can truly find out is by writing, and often. Have your friends and family read your works and give you their honest feedback. A little constructive criticism goes a long way!

3. It can be used as a form of expression.

Lady Gaga GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY Giphy

It may sound cheesy, but writing to express yourself is one of the best ways to express yourself! Wanna talk about your exact thoughts or feelings, but don't know how to verbalize it? Write them out and it'll help you! In turn, it'll help you find your voice in writing and organize your thoughts better.

4. It helps to practice. 

Ted-Ed Practice GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY Giphy

I've been told this many times as a writer and it still holds up: reading other people's articles, books, and more can be super beneficial in improving your craft. And if you write something every day, it's natural that your craft will improve with time. You can never know too many grammar rules, you know; just ask the AP Stylebook!

5. Your voice can be heard. 

media.giphy.com

Writing for online publications is practically one of the easiest ways to have your voice be heard. I'm taking a tip from the rulebooks and sharing it with you: SHARE, SHARE, SHARE! Share your work with your friends, with your family, your significant other, even with your cat! Share it on your social media, share it on message boards, share it anywhere you feel your work will resonate plenty. You never know who you'll reach! Which brings me to my final reason....

6. You can change lives.

Hip Hop Television GIF by WE tv - Find & Share on GIPHY Giphy

Having people share your articles and tell you how much your writing resonates with them is an exhilarating feeling. So if you ever feel like you're ready to give up writing, just keep in mind that even one person's feedback can mean so much; whether it be your mom, your friends, your partner, or even a stranger. Simply put, keep at it!