Reasons Why Girl Meets World Being Cancelled is a Bummer

Girl Meets World was a welcome addition to the Boy Meets World world and it's going to be missed.

326
Small Things

As a 90s kid, it was impossible not to love Boy Meets World. I wanted a friendship like Cory and Shawn's. I wanted a love like Cory and Topanga's (hell, they're still relationship goals all these years later). So when I found out Girl Meets World was a thing that was going to exist, I was pretty excited. Reboots and sequels are always a little daunting because there is always the fear of your favorite thing being pulverized beyond recognition. With Girl Meets World, we got lucky. Sure, it was on Disney Channel instead of ABC or Freeform, so it was a little cheesy at times, but it was an enjoyable show that deserved to see the kids through high school. Here are 10 reasons why I'm said Girl Meets World got cancelled.

10. It's better than a lot of the media we force on kids these days

Girl Meets World dealt with real world issues that teens go through all the time. It was refreshing to see a show not treat its audience with kid gloves and actually have story lines that could help young people grow and flourish. The episodes involving bullying and trying to find your identity weren't hokey, "special" episodes and as an adult who happens to teach this age group, more than one time it made me emotional. I hope that more shows take note.

9. It had room for growth

It took a little while for Girl Meets World to find its footing, but as the teen stars have gotten older, they have come into their own. Seeing as the show is currently only in the kids' freshman year, I feel like any future seasons would be able to help teens even more with the struggles of growing up. There are many other story lines that are just waiting to be told and I wish Girl Meets World had the chance to tell them.

8. The theme song is catchy

For the third season, the credits were redone as a homage to Boy Meets World opening in its later seasons. Basically, the Girl Meets World credits look like the actors had a blast reliving the original opening. The theme song is also super catchy and the two leads, Rowan Blanchard and Sabrina Carpenter, sing it together. I miss that shows always used to have theme songs, so it's nice that at least one show I watched did.

7. "Girl Meets I Am Farkle" episode

I can't think of another children's show that has tackled the subject of autism before. Like I said before, Girl Meets World has created some wonderful, heartfelt episodes without making them feel like they were "after school special" episodes. One of their best is when Farkle is tested for Asperger's. Though it turns out he does not fall on the autism spectrum, the support he was given from his friends and family is exactly what is needed in episodes like this. Diversity, especially in children's media is so so necessary and this episode was a step in the right direction. Even though Farkle was not diagnosed, his female counterpart Smackle recalls when she was diagnosed at age 5 and talks openly about how she struggles with human connection. Corey Fogelmanis and Cecilia Balagot were wonderful in this episode.

6. The group dynamic

The group dynamic between the teens on Girl Meets World is excellent. Of course, the sappy love triangle came into play at one point because no show is immune to that kind of tension, but overall the teens have a great chemistry together. Farkle has had quieter moments with both Riley and Maya which both shows off how much Farkle cares and also how lovely Corey's acting choices are. Zay and Smackle are introduced later in the series, but they meld right into the dynamic of the original four. Zay has quieter moments too in which you can see that he adds to the group friendship. Unlike other shows, Girl Meets World tries its best to vary the scene partners within the group. Every character has worthy interactions with all of the others and that is how it convinces audiences that they are truly friends. A highlight showcasing the 6 teens together is when Farkle tells the group that he learned his family was Jewish during WWII.

5. Riley and Maya

Riley and Maya are the Cory and Shawn of Girl Meets World. Riley's goofiness, naivete, and sunshiny personality balances Maya's darker, artistic, slightly broken side. Even as the group grows together, the focus of Riley and Maya's friendship is one that is important for all the young girls out there watching. Together, Riley and Maya have been through a lot, but they are always there for each other. Even silly boy drama that probably lasted too long episode-wise wasn't able to weaken the friendship these girls share. I hope that because of Riley and Maya young girls are able to grow friendships as rewarding as the one they watch on Girl Meets World.

4. Josh and Maya

Look, I'm a fangirl, I can't help it. Even when it comes to shows aimed for a younger audience than me. Maya's chemistry with Riley's Uncle Josh (remember the surprise! baby from the last season of Boy Meets World? lol) is off the charts. Their age difference has been cause for them to not actually have a relationship, but that doesn't stop fans from calling them Joshaya. It also doesn't stop them from being adorable in every single scene together.

3. Cory and Topanga

AKA Every 90s kid's OTP. Cory and Topanga were such an integral piece of Boy Meets World, so watching them as adults with children in Girl Meets World has been a privilege. Cory took on the teacher/ Mr. Feeny role and Topanga is kicking butt (of course!) as a lawyer. You can tell that Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel are entirely comfortable with each other and they don't even have to try to sell that Cory and Topanga are still in love. Cory is still goofy and Topanga is still a little neurotic sometimes and I wouldn't have it any other way.

2. Catching up with past characters

Obviously any spinoff of Boy Meets World is incomplete without Shawn. His introduction into Girl Meets World in the Christmas episode is great, as is his confusion over how much Farkle looks like his father, Minkus. Eric Matthews returns in his Plays with Squirrels robe in a later episode and is just as lovable as always. Mr. Feeny, Mr. Turner, Angela, Jack, Mr. and Mrs. Matthews, and even Harley have all come back to visit Girl Meets World and as much as I like the new generation, those are the scenes for which everyone was waiting.

1. The Boy Meets World callbacks

As with every sequel, Girl Meets World made some inside jokes that fans of Boy Meets World could appreciate. Every time one of these jokes happened, I couldn't stop smiling at the nostalgia. Cory and Shawn fell asleep and made the yipping noises and they also showed the girls that dance they did in the kitchen many years ago. Eric dressed as Plays with Squirrels and the kid who played Tommy came back to talk to him. The girls were able to do the Feeny call (though no one will ever beat Eric's). There are 2 episodes left and I'm just hoping we get some kind of "Believe in yourselves. Drea. Try. Do good."

For all it's cheesy Disney-ness, I'm truly going to miss Girl Meets World. It was a faithful addition to the Boy Meets World franchise and I wish it was given more time.