6 Reasons Why 'The West Wing' Will Always Be Better Than 'House Of Cards'

"West Wing is the best wing."

60
Entertainment Weekly

Political science students don't have a "Law and Order" to binge like law students do. We don't have "COPS" like the CJ guys do and we certainly don't have "ER" like pre-nursing students do. What we do have, however, is a choice between a gripping, true to life, often hilarious dramatization of the inner workings of the American political system. Oh, and a soap opera. Here's the top six reasons why "The West Wing" is better than "House of Cards."

1. The characters aren't awful people

Sure, they aren't without flaws, but we can like them without feeling guilty. In fact, most of the time they're downright hilarious.

2. It's actually about politics

Yes, "House of Cards" is a political drama. But it's as much about the political process as "General Hospital" is about medical science.

3. It's still relevant

Even though it went off the air 10 years ago, on issues like terrorism, refugees, privacy and even Supreme Court nominations, "The West Wing" is almost unnervingly applicable today.

4. It's won, like, a ton of awards

Winning 21 awards is nothing to scoff at. But, with an average of seven awards a year since its inception in 2013, "House of Cards" has a long way to go if it wants to catch up to "The West Wing's" 118.

5. Rob Lowe

What if would happen if Chris Traeger wrote speeches for the president? You would get Deputy White House Communications Director Sam Seaborn.

6. The Intro

"The West Wing" has, quite possibly, one of the best theme songs in the history of television. And I should know — I watch a lot of TV.