Why You Should Go Through Recruitment

Why You Should Go Through Recruitment

Add a chapter to your story.

28
Why You Should Go Through Recruitment

Like many, I was blinded by the Greek stereotypes coming into college. I thought of every possible movie, TV show, and news story about sorority life and used them as excuses when prompted about recruitment.

I was so consumed by the false images that I failed to see what Greek life was truly like, that is, until the majority of my friends began to join chapters. Each night of recruitment, they would come back to our dorm and tell me everything they loved about each sorority. They gushed about philanthropies, sisterhoods, and everything in between, making me question every previous view I was taught from the media. After doing a little research of my own and going through informal recruitment, I learned that Greek life is the complete opposite of what I originally thought. I am so happy to be in a sorority at my school and I would do it all the same if I had the choice.

Recruitment gives you a chance to meet new people. During each night of recruitment, you have the chance to talk to multiple girls, typically those who you do not already know. The goal is to show you what what each sisterhood is like by meeting some of their members, helping you determine where you would fit the best. You also have the chance to bond with the other girls going through recruitment, because I guarantee that they are just as nervous as you are. Even if you don’t end up joining a particular sorority, you will be able to say that you met some of their members and had great conversations. And if you do join the sisterhood, you will have some great new friends going in!

Recruitment helps you learn about yourself. It wasn’t until I began the recruitment process that I realized how much I wanted one big group of girls to be my family and support system. This ended up being one of the main reasons that I accepted my bid, and something I never would’ve known had I not taken the chance to go through recruitment. When beginning the recruitment process, it’s hard to understand the depth of the impact that it will have on you. It ends up teaching you about your likes and dislikes, your personality, and most importantly, your values. Deciding which sorority is right for you really makes you examine these aspects, and discussions about philanthropies and chapter principles can assist in this tough choice.

Recruitment will teach you about Greek life. It’s impossible not to learn about Greek life when going through each night of recruitment. From house tours to preference night, each conversation will guide you through what it’s like to be a member of a sorority. This will debunk some of the previous stereotypes that you had and replace them with the truth. It can also be valuable information when deciding whether Greek life is meant for you.

You will find your home during recruitment. Whether that home is in a sorority, a group of friends, a dorm, or none of the above, you’ll find it. After learning about yourself and Greek life, you realize where you belong. If you decide to accept a bid, your chapter will be your forever family – not just for your college years, but for life. And if you decide that a sorority isn’t for you, that’s alright too. Either way, you’ve found where you fit.

Greek life isn’t for everyone, and that’s okay. But if you never go through recruitment, you’ll never know if it was meant to be. I urge you to give it a try and see what happens. It’s a great experience for everyone and you won’t regret it. The worst that could happen is that you make new friends and learn more about yourself, Greek life, and the false stereotypes. But the best that could happen is that you fall head over heels in love with a sisterhood. That sounds like a win-win situation to me!