5 Reasons To Donate Blood

5 Reasons To Donate Blood

2. Each donation saves about three lives.

305
5 Reasons To Donate Blood
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/05/02/6366087200310487591798692357_donating-blood.jpg

Blood is essential for life. It helps to circulate nutrients and oxygen throughout our bodies and gives us everything we need for our organs to thrive. There are so many people in our society that need blood donations, but still, people are hesitant to donate. Blood donations are desperately low and our society needs a better understanding of the importance of answering the desperate call for blood. Here are some of the reasons you should consider donating blood:

1. More than 38,000 donations are needed per day.

In the United States alone, someone needs blood about every two seconds. Currently, about 38% of the American population is eligible to donate blood, but only about 3% actually donates. The interest in blood donation needs to expand to a greater population if this epidemic is going to cease.

2. Each blood donation saves about three lives.

A pint of whole blood contains red blood cells, platelets, plasma, and cryoprecipitate. Each pint of donated blood is separated into at least two of these products. These products can go to multiple people, saving up to three lives.

3. Donating blood is a simple process.

The whole process of donating blood takes about an hour. It's a simple procedure that includes registration, medical history and physical examination, donation, and refreshments. So, saying you don't have time is no longer an excuse!

4. You can contribute to the good health of someone other than yourself.

The two most common reasons for not donating blood are, not thinking about it and a fear of needles. Most people have dealt with more than a simple needle stick, so donating blood is not much more than that. Blood donation is an opportunity to volunteer and to contribute to another patient's good health.

5. More than 1 million people are diagnosed with cancer each year.

Many of these patients will need blood products, sometimes during their chemotherapy treatments. Many people are eligible to donate blood to cancer patients who need it. Blood donation is a way to give back for everything we have received.

Now that you've read all these reasons to donate blood, consider it! If you are interested in donating, reach out to your local hospital, cancer center or the American Red Cross.