The industry is not in a good place, but I want it.

In An Age Of Fake News & Political Bias, Here's Why I Want To Be A Journalist

This is why I want to be the face of the nightly news.

44

My interest in the field of journalism hatched as a young girl. I was always told that I was being nosy. I loved to spy and eves drop. I wanted to be a part of what was going on. I wanted to know the details of every story. I remember saying that I would one day become a news reporter so that I wouldn't have to be so nosy anymore. If I were on the news I would already know everything. That is how it works, right?

Many years later as my understanding of media and the world around me has changed I still find myself having a curiosity for all the top stories. I favor the feel good stories on local channels about lost pets being miraculously found or stories of unsung heroes. However, I also understand the importance of the sorrowful and heart wrenching stories as well. People, young and old, rely on the news to keep them up with the Kardashians, their favorite sports teams, politics and much much more. The whole thing is fascinating to me. Not just the stories told, but the theories behind it all as well.

I took a course titled, "21st Century Journalism: How the News Works." Over the course of the semester we talked about ethics in journalism, bias, and fake news. All of these topics have society raging. I think it is incredible that journalists and their work have the power to affect society so deeply. Almost everyone has an opinion on the media. While it terrifies me that someday people will judge me and my network harshly, I also feel empowered by this. I want the people who hate the media to love it again.

Yes, there are bad things about the media. Some stations tell graphic and invasive stories. Others favor one political party over another But there is so much good that journalists can do as well. I want to be a part of the good. The good that keeps people aware of danger. The good that brings light to the heroes that may have gone unnoticed.

I can't change the entire journalism industry by myself, but I hope I can help.