5 Reasons You Should Get Hyped For The New "Star Wars" Movie

9

With less than 50 days remaining until its Dec.18 release, you’ve probably heard of this one movie called "Star Wars: The Force Awakens." Whether you dismissed it out of hand as a franchise that came around when your parents were hardly teens, or you’re one of the ultra-fans getting a costume ready for the premiere of "The Force Awakens," here’s five reasons this movie should get you excited:

1. Cultural Significance

Star Wars has been around for almost 40 years now, and whether you like it, love it, or, by a tragic flaw in your childhood, have never seen it, it’s a franchise that has some serious history. It’s worth seeing "The Force Awakens" for nothing else than to witness the continuation of a decades-long story that’s enraptured millions. Its appeal has lived on even as the children who crowded movie theaters in the late 1970's have grown up and had families of their own. Phrases from the movies and allusions to its characters can be found scattered throughout contemporary TV, films, and novels. Star Wars is a full-blown cultural phenomenon, and keeping up to date with it means keeping up to date with modern pop culture. After all, if Drake is on board, you should be on board too.

2. Connecting with Others

Maybe it’s one of your parents. Maybe it’s your best friend’s brother, or your coworker. Odds are that you know at least a few people who’ve seen the Star Wars movies already. Watching the new movie with your friends and family could be a wonderful memory in the making. And who knows, if you aren’t already a fan, maybe they’ll convert you in the process.

3. Cast & Crew

From the actors to the crew, "The Force Awakens" boasts an impressive roster. Even if space opera isn’t your thing, with a cast studded with Academy Award and Golden Globe recipients, plus a promising array of newcomers, the talent looks to be nothing short of spectacular. And as a bonus, look closely during the movie and you might spot some of your favorites from "Game of Thrones," "Lord of the Rings," and "Indiana Jones."

4. Disney's Influence

At first, the Internet let out a collective groan when it was announced that Disney would be taking over the Star Wars franchise and releasing a new set of movies. Visions of Luke Skywalker as Mickey Mouse aside, many worried that Disney would “ruin” the feel of the movies. There’s definitely something to that, but in the end, how many Disney movies are there really out there that you hate? That’s right. Not that many. Disney’s been at the top of their game for years, and nine times out of ten, they know what they’re doing when it comes to movies. It’s more than that--Disney knows how to make really damn good movies, and with a little help from the Force, this will end up being one of them.

5. It Actually Exists

This one’s for the Star Wars fanatics out there. Truth be told, after the 2005 premiere of "Revenge of the Sith," we thought that was it. The Star Wars universe’s time on the big screen was over, and animated films aside, the thought of another live-action Star Wars movie was reduced to a wistful fantasy. And fantasy it remained for almost ten years, until Disney announced that the Star Wars franchise would be rekindled again, bringing fans at least another three movies and years of anticipation and buildup leading to the films’ release. No matter what the new movies may bring, people around the world will now get to experience that heady surge of wild excitement as the theater lights dim and the Star Wars theme blasts from the speakers. Something so globally loved by so many promises to be a rewarding way to spend two fantastic hours.

So here’s to "The Force Awakens."