The Truth About Realizing Your Fullest Potential

We have a responsibility to be all that we can be.

263
Clifford Dolan

We are all inculcated early in our lives with beliefs that are foundational in nature, or core, both positive and negative. As core beliefs, these are so embedded into our psychic experience as to be difficult at best, to change. Positive core beliefs lead to a positive values system and pro-social behavior. These beliefs might include “I am a good person”, “hard work pays for itself in the long run”, “love conquers all,” or “knowledge is power.”

These positive core beliefs, when reinforced and reconfirmed through positive behaviors can result in a healthy and productive individual with an optimistic worldview. Negative core beliefs, conversely, may have an opposite effect. Beliefs including “I am a failure,” “I am stupid,” “everyone is out to get me,” or “I am unlovable” might result in behaviors that reaffirm these core beliefs.

Maladaptive, antisocial behavior and activity may affirm these negative core beliefs as the beliefs themselves create situations, circumstances and events that, along with like-minded individuals conspire to foster an atmosphere conducive to failure; a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy.

These negative core beliefs can often be easily identified through an examination of one's surface projection or behavior. The man who projects an outward aura of a hardened tough guy, puffing out his chest at every opportunity and loudly proclaiming his physical superiority in an effort to intimidate, might be said to be outwardly compensating for a core belief that he is a failed weakling. Often these negative core beliefs are unrecognized by the person possessing them having held them from the age of early childhood.

One's outward or surface projection may seem automatic and natural to them but to the knowledgeable observer constitutes an obvious compensation for feelings of inadequacy, self-loathing, despair or hopelessness. Witness the current resident of the Oval Office.

These surface projections are defense mechanisms then, simply expressed in an effort to cope with or to deny the horrible truth these underlying beliefs would reveal if brought out into the light of day. An effective treatment modality would comprise attempts to confront the surface behaviors “head on” and ask, “What kind of person, what belief system would produce such outward behavioral displays.”

This would be conducted in a group setting using the group collectively to bring pressure to bear on the issue at hand. Who better to confront one's own behavior than one’s peers who see much more and know the subject more intimately than any outsider?

By confronting the individual concerning the outwardly displayed behavior and with an adequate amount of pressure, an emotional catharsis may be brought to the fore, after the subject voices staunch denials and rebuttals, whereby the subject may reach a point of surrender and be open to suggestions therapeutic in nature.

At this point, the negative core belief would be challenged through a Socratic approach in a caring, calm, encouraging manner. For one whose core beliefs might include “I will always fail,” the question may be asked, “Show us the evidence that you will always fail? Have you always failed in the past? Have you known success in your life? Have you ever succeeded at a goal you set for yourself?” The subject will be left, ultimately, with no other option but to admit to having succeeded, at some point or with a particular goal, in life.

This is the beginning of the process for tearing down that deeply embedded negative core belief. This small crack in the foundation of this belief will ultimately lead to its complete usurpation.

By building on this first crack the individual would be asked to record instances, on a daily basis, where success offered the realization, no matter how small and seemingly inconsequential, of the achieved goal or desire. Further support could be offered in the form of evidentiary fact or anecdotal experience. For example, “failure must be embraced in order that one succeeds” or “failure is how one learns to succeed.”

It is evident then, that self-awareness plays a major role in changing a negative core belief. Our belief system can be hidden in such a way that gaining access to it can be a brutal process, one that demands rigorous honesty. Beliefs are the truths people hold on to and guide their lives by. These negative core beliefs can act as belief traps that prevent one from growing and learning emotionally and spiritually.

When we open our awareness to our strongest beliefs, beliefs that are positive in nature, we can discover who we truly want to become and why we behave in the manner we do. Additionally, new energy becomes available when core beliefs that are life-affirming, fulfilling and spiritually transforming are realized, reinforced and acted upon.

It is clear then, that beliefs can trap us in a life of turmoil and unfulfilled dreams, or they can set us free. Free to explore then world and ourselves in a manner that redefines what and who we truly are. And while negative core beliefs can’t simply be disposed of and replaced with a new belief, they can certainly be changed and replaced over time through the methods described above. This change must originate from a new perspective, grounded in awareness of the self. Honesty and responsibility play a foundational role here. Ownership of who we truly are at the core of our being, where the true self resides, is paramount.

The truth about each of us is clear and undeniable, we are worthy of unconditional love and realizing our full potential will result from the self being whole. It is our duty, to ourselves, to our family and friends, to our community and to the universe, to become all that we can become.