Realistic New Year's Resolutions For College Students

It doesn't have to be hard.

34
Gretchen Rubin

New Year, New Me. Except that's a load of crap. Just because the calendar has flipped to start a new year does not mean you've suddenly transformed into this motivated, gym-going, superhuman. However, there are some things as college students we can try to do this year to better ourselves. Here are some New Year's Resolutions we can actually try to stick to this time around.

1. Attempt to cut back on your social media stalking

Quitting cold turkey will never happen, but maybe, just maybe, for the sake of mental sanity, we can try to limit our stalking time in this new year. Probably not, but it's worth a shot, right?

2. Wake up at a reasonable hour at least one day of the weekend

There is nothing sweeter than wasting the day away sleeping after a long night of drinking. However, one day in the scarily close future, we're going to have to be real, functioning human beings. Getting a head start may not be the worst thing in the world. Or it might be.

3. Do laundry on a semi-regular basis

I'm as guilty as anybody of letting the laundry basket pile up until it rivals Mount Everest, but this might be something I can actually get behind. If you do laundry more often you're less likely to need to buy new clothes as replacement for the dirty ones.

4. Limit your coffee intake to two per day. Three max.

You start with one. Then two. One thing leads to another and suddenly your insides are equal parts coffee and water. Or is that just me? There are noted health benefits to cutting back on coffee. I'm just not sure that's a risk I'm willing to take.

5. Stop mixing alcohol

It always seems like a good idea to start with beer, take a few shots of vodka, then move on to a mixed drink, maybe a shot of tequila, and then find your way back to beer by the end of the night. These nights usually end up with your head in the toilet, and a whole bunch of blurry memories. It might be helpful to stick to one. Okay maybe two.

6. Go to the library before finals week

I know it seems outlandish, but this could actually be helpful. For starters, you learn all the best spots in the library. If you go enough times, you can scope out your favorite. You also won't be stuck hating your life while your friends are all doing fun things.

7. Put your phone down when the party starts

Not only will your phone be safe from falling in the toilet (guilty x3), but you'll also be saving yourself loads of embarrassment in the morning, and the next 13 mornings.

8. Take pictures for more than just social media

Instagram likes are great and all, but what happened to taking pictures to look back and laugh at with your friends? Or to remember a fun time? Instagram will always be there, but your friends might not be. Enjoy your time with them for the sake of spending time with them, and if you get a quality Instagram along the way, well that's even better.