The Real Talk On Long Distance Relationships

Tips, Benefits, and Reassurance.

513

Missing someone is one of the emptiest feelings that one can have, mainly because there is no certain way to fix it right away. Distance is something that many people experience at some point in their lifetimes, whether it being with a friend or a significant other.

Distance is the only thing that I have ever really known and I am here to tell you that it does work, despite what everyone might tell you. Here are seven things I have learned from distance.

1. The most important aspect is trust.

This is true for any type of relationship, right?! Trust gets pushed to the ultimate test when you are distant from someone. The only way to get through anything at all is to trust them 100%. Since you aren't around them, you have to be able to trust anything they say or do when you aren't physically there to see it happen. Be honest with yourself and with them in how much you really trust each other, because if you do not have full and complete trust, then things won't work.

2. Communication is key.

I know you hear this all the time, but that's because everyone agrees on its importance. Talking to your significant other, or friend, every day is the only way to keep it alive. Staying up-to-date on what each other have going on is what keeps each other in the loop and important in your daily lives. Texting is super easy to keep up on, even if it's a few texts a day; it lets them know you're thinking about them.

But an even better way to stay sentimentally in touch is calling and FaceTiming. Madison Ream, a Purdue University student going through a distant relationship, says, "Without communication, there is no way to survive. You may be busy, but even taking 5-10 minutes out of your day to talk on the phone or FaceTime is very important."

3. Equal effort.

Putting 100% of your love and effort into the relationship and getting the same in return is crucial. You both must be willing to put full effort into making things work because when things fall to a one-sided effort, it won't work. Things take work, but it's a good kind of work since it's for someone you love. This also comes so naturally and easily if the person you are with means everything.

There will be days where you question whether or not it's worth it, and there will be days where you may cry nonstop. It won't be easy, but no relationship is. There are benefits of having a distant relationship, so always look for the positives. If your SO is the right person for you, then it will work and your love will be greater than any distance you may ever face.

4. Time together is the most precious thing.

When you are apart from each other, all you think about is the day that you will be able to see them again. This makes time with them so much sweeter and valuable because you appreciate their presence in a different way than other couples might. This can be true for a best friend as well. You realize how important they are in your life when you can't be with them every day, which makes the days spent together so much more special and meaningful.

5. You learn independence within the relationship.

Being your own person is crucial to self-growth. With distant relationships, you are forced to be on your own, make your own decisions, and figure out your own happiness, so that there is too much dependence on another person. This is healthy for any person and any relationship.

6. Visits.

Having somewhere to visit is always fun and exciting, especially when it leads to spending time with someone who means the most. Whether you live in the same state and different cities, different states, or different countries, having somewhere to go and stay is exciting.

7. Strengthens the relationship and love.

Being in a distant relationship strengthens the love you have for one another because you learn how to communicate properly, discuss issues, and plan ahead together. You also learn about how much the other values the relationship you have, because doing anything to make it work no matter where you are in the world is the clearest sign of how deep there love really is.

Words of affirmation and reassurance are always used when you speak to each other or text, and are so special to hear. And knowing that you two are able to overcome a distant relationship means you can handle anything life throws at you.

Just remember that if the person you're distant from is the right person, everything will work. No matter how far apart you may be, if they want to be in your life, they will be. Things may get difficult and some days will be harder than others, but work for it if that person is everything. Everything that is meant to be will be.