Real Talk: Body Image

Real Talk: Body Image

From body-positivity to Christian emphasis to real talk

65
Real Talk: Body Image
ectogasm

Before I begin, I just want to say that body image isn’t an easy topic to talk about. The opinions and views and part of body image range so widely that it is impossible to cover everything in one article – but the important thing I want to get across is that body image affects all people, of every age, race, gender, and status. It is something you carry with you from the first time you look in a mirror until your old age.

Chances are, you've seen the posts about body-positivity on social media and in things like Aerie’s campaign that features models without any retouching. The good news? It seems like lately people have been embracing all different body types and promoting self- love. I can’t express the joy of watching other people embrace their body and really love who they are. For those of you who haven’t heard, read, or seen about the body-positivity movement – it’s basically people of all shapes, sizes, races, ages, and genders declaring that they love their body despite their imperfections. It’s a movement that is trying to teach people to see themselves as beautiful, or handsome, even if they don’t fit the typical standards through of by media and advertisements. The beauty of something like this is people coming together and deciding to defy standards together.

The challenges come when people decide to be negative towards the post, or when people look at each other’s posts and begin to be self-critical or outwardly judgmental. Many people claim that this movement is just an excuse for people to post pictures of themselves in more revealing clothing, however the point of the movement is that you can be dressed in whatever you feel beautiful in and show as much, or as little, as you want. The goal is to appreciate the human bodies and the complexity and beauty in them no matter what they look like.

It’s important to know that you will never see yourself as other people see you. You will always be able to pick out some small flaw that you think is a problem, when in reality other people haven’t noticed it at all. Or maybe you have something pointed out to you that you didn’t notice and the insecurity begins to eat at you. Think of it this way – when your best friend begins to complain about something they see wrong with how they look, do you agree? Most often, the answer is no. You try to reassure them and make them see what you see… So why don’t you do that for yourself?

Body image is so fragile that one comment can change the way you view yourself, but body image isn’t all about the outward side of things. It is just as much a mental thing as it is physical. You can be pleased with the way you look in a certain outfit, but if you aren’t happy with yourself on the inside, then it can feel more like you’re putting on a show and less like you love yourself. I know this is somewhat of a cliché, but think about the quote "what if your insides matched your outsides?" That’s part of body image. If you feel ugly on the inside, your body image is going to be negatively affected. If you choose to see the good inside of you, you'll see it on the outside too. The good thing is that body image is so flexible, all you have to do is start making positive steps in your life, which I promise is much easier said than done.

For Christians, incorporating God into body image seems easy. I’m sure many of you, regardless of whether or not you consider yourself religious, have heard the scriptures telling us that we are created in His image, and how we are beautiful and perfectly made. Personally, I love these scriptures and find reassurance in them.

The hard part comes when you don’t feel like you’re perfectly made.

I’ve struggled personally with this throughout my life. Feeling like you’re less than a creation is a difficult thing to work through. You don’t want to doubt God, it’s just that you don’t see yourself as beautiful today. And that’s okay. It’s normal to have those days and to feel less than. What you need to remember is that you can’t let it destroy you.

Ladies, it can be hard to believe that you don’t have to have a small frame with large assets. Traditionally, the standards have been a body that is small all around. Lately, the standards have been changing to fit the image of being "thick”, with a small waist but bigger thighs and features. The point is – no body type can fit the image of perfect – because we are all made wonderfully. On days when you feel less than, put down the magazines and stop stalking the models on Instagram. Try reading Proverbs 30-31 and take a bath. Remember that you don’t have to look like them to be beautiful.

Guys, it can be hard to believe that you don’t have to be tall and muscular. You have always been held to standards of having abs and biceps, holding up the image of being “strong” and “manly”, or that you have to be tall but not too tall, and thin but not too thin, with enough muscle but not too much muscle. The point is – you can’t be everything that society deems “manly” or “attractive”. On days when you feel less than, stop comparing yourself to the fitness gurus and people around you. Try reading Psalm 122 or Ephesians 6. Remember that true strength can come from faith and popular opinion doesn’t define your worth.

So, real talk- what's stopping you from loving yourself? Because I assure you, you are your own worst critic. WHO CARES if you have stretch marks? Or if you don't have biceps the size of your head?

I think your body is beautiful, and you should too. I think your skin is beautiful, light or dark or freckled or vitiligo or whatever else. And I think you look amazing in that outfit, size 0 or 22. And someday, somebody is going to notice the way your right foot is just a little bigger than your left, or how your ears stick out when your hair is pulled back, or how your beard comes in a little thinner on one side than the other, and it is going to be their favorite thing about you, so why not embrace it?

Whatever the case is, love yourself. Because real talk? It's so much more exhausting trying to change things you have no control over.

And finally, real talk... it’s okay to have days where you feel less than, and it’s okay to have days where you feel your absolute best! My hope for you is the good outweighs the bad. Don’t stress about your outward appearance and remember there’s always room for change.

(P.S. the super cute brooch in the picture is available to buy here from Ectogasm:

http://www.ectogasm.net/products/be-your-own-kind-... )