Ready, Set, Gorgeous

Ready, Set, Gorgeous

Redefine what beauty means to you

11
Ready, Set, Gorgeous
Huffington Post

"Dear Little One,

As I write this, I’m sitting in the makeup aisle of our local Target store. A friend recently texted me from a different makeup aisle and told me it felt like one of the most oppressive places in the world. I wanted to find out what he meant. And now that I’m sitting here, I’m beginning to agree with him. Words have power, and the words on display in this aisle have a deep power. Words and phrases like:

Affordably gorgeous,

Infallible,

Flawless finish,

Brilliant strength,

Liquid power,

Go nude,

Age defying,

Instant age rewind,

Choose your dream,

Nearly naked, and

Natural beauty.

When you have a daughter you start to realize she’s just as strong as everyone else in the house—a force to be reckoned with, a soul on fire with the same life and gifts and passions as any man. But sitting in this store aisle, you also begin to realize most people won’t see her that way. They’ll see her as a pretty face and a body to enjoy. And they’ll tell her she has to look a certain way to have any worth or influence.

But words do have power and maybe, just maybe, the words of a father can begin to compete with the words of the world. Maybe a father’s words can deliver his daughter through this gauntlet of institutionalized shame and into a deep, unshakeable sense of her own worthiness and beauty.

A father’s words aren’t different words, but they are words with a radically different meaning:

Brilliant strength. May your strength be not in your fingernails but in your heart. May you discern in your center who you are, and then may you fearfully but tenaciously live it out in the world.

Choose your dream. But not from a department store shelf. Find the still-quiet place within you. A real dream has been planted there. Discover what you want to do in the world. And when you have chosen, may you faithfully pursue it, with integrity and with hope.

Naked. The world wants you to take your clothes off. Please keep them on. But take your gloves off. Pull no punches. Say what is in your heart. Be vulnerable. Embrace risk. Love a world that barely knows what it means to love itself. Do so nakedly. Openly. With abandon.

Infallible. May you be constantly, infallibly aware that infallibility doesn’t exist. It’s an illusion created by people interested in your wallet. If you choose to seek perfection, may it be in an infallible grace—for yourself, and for everyone around you.

Age defying. Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is ageless. It will always know how to play and how to enjoy and how to revel in this one-chance life. May you always defiantly resist the aging of your spirit.

Flawless finish. Your finish has nothing to do with how your face looks today and everything to do with how your life looks on your last day. May your years be a preparation for that day. May you be aged by grace, may you grow in wisdom, and may your love become big enough to embrace all people. May your flawless finish be a peaceful embrace of the end and the unknown that follows, and may it thus be a gift to everyone who cherishes you.

Little One, you love everything pink and frilly and I will surely understand if someday makeup is important to you. But I pray three words will remain more important to you—the last three words you say every night, when I ask the question: “Where are you the most beautiful?” Three words so bright no concealer can cover them.

Where are you the most beautiful?

On the inside.

From my heart to yours,

Daddy"

Although this letter was originally published in 2014, I was only introduced to it several months ago, after which I immediately tacked it to my bedroom wall. The words resonated with me as my mind replayed the countless trips I have made to the makeup aisle, searching for the promised beauty I lack. At the same time, the letter reminded me how true beauty should be defined. While it is written from daddy to daughter, its message extends so much further to sisters, mothers, friends, and cousins to everyone you love, including yourself. No one is immune to the labels of the makeup aisle, where beauty is only as deep as the pores your foundation promises to hide.

Around the same time I was introduced to this unforgettable letter, I was asked to define what beauty means to me. My answer had nothing to do with makeup and the perfection it promises. Instead, I responded to this question with honesty.

To me, there is nothing more beautiful than watching someone live their life unapologetically. This is where true and radiant beauty comes together. Through your radiance, you are sensational, luminous and photo ready, with the ability to lift yourself and others up; everything makeup promises to create.

Redefine what beauty means to you.

When you find yourself standing in the makeup aisle, remember that you are product of beauty and the words you see all around you reminder of all that you already are.

Go live beautifully.

As CoverGirl would say, Ready, Set, Gorgeous.