How To Help Your Student Adjust Into The Second Semester

Most of us students are now back to school. We are beginning a new quarter/semester, as well as a new year. In this time, however, we also have to deal with this readjustment. We just came from a long break, this breaks longer than in years past. So, because of this, I think it is important to know what your student in your life will need in the upcoming weeks.

First of all, we are going to be a bit spaced out. A lot of the time, we are remaking our schedules that not only confirm our interests but maybe some new year resolutions. Also, readjusting back to the structured school schedule as opposed to the endless free time of break will for sure be stressful.

So, what are some things that you can do to help your student during this time? For sure, I would make sure that they are getting fed. I know that for me, it was difficult to find the time to eat in between all of the quarterly meetings and classes I was attending. So if you could please supply them with snacks, as well as frozen dinners, that would be great. And even better, if you can give them money or gift cards to go out and eat, that would be a nice reward for them.

Another thing that these students may struggle with is organization. Offer to help them clean their rooms, unpack their clothes, and do any last minute laundry even before they leave. Going back to school and making sure you have EVERYTHING packed and unpacked before school begins will be a very stressful task that gets in the way of their education. Also, if you can help them buy any school supplies, that would be wonderful as well.

Self-care, as you can tell, is low on their totem pole, so there are a couple of things that you can help within that field.

For people who enjoy working out, perhaps give them new sportswear in order to motivate them back to the gym even in this stressful time. It is shown that working out can help people sleep better, think clearer, and feel more positive. There might be a workout class they want to take, but have to pay for. If that is the case, see if you can have it paid for.

For students who maybe enjoy beauty routines, there is a lot you can do. Some people (me) really enjoy face masks. These are creams and gels to put on your face to rejuvenate your complexion and make you feel fancy. In addition, it is usually not something that a student would buy for themselves. More items like lotions and bath bombs can make your student feel pampered physically, and show them that they should take some time for themselves even with their lives are going one hundred miles per hour.

Overall, this is a topic that a lot of people may think is self-serving. But I do think it is important to share what friends and family can do to help their loved students. So many times, people in this part of their lives are asked what they want for holiday gifts, and their answers may be vague or unsure. In addition, they ask how to help the student go back to school. So I hope that this should help clarify some ways to help your student readjust to their school setting.