If You're Sad Today

If You're Sad Today

I'm here for a little pick-me-up.

90
If You're Sad Today
Lauren Basha

This is something that got me through hard times, made me feel like I could keep going and push through, and something I read every time I am sad.

Dear Self,

You are beautiful! Remember that. You're even more beautiful when you smile a lot.

I know your heart hurts a lot right now, and it doesn't matter about what. I know your stomach is in knots. I know that bad feeling in your gut and it just keeps sinking down. I know you have tried to be nice to yourself and treated yourself to every milkshake, cookie or new dress you have seen in a window. But your mind still takes you back to the one thing you don't want to think about.

It could be him; it could be her; it could be them; it could be everyone; it could even be you.

But here you are, taking your fourth shower of the day just to do something, and playing loud music so people don't hear you cry. But you know if you don't let it out, you'll go insane.

You've tried sleeping, you've tried getting up early, you've tried exercising, you've tried lounging, you've tried listening to music. You've tried it all. And yet, here you are, sitting on your floor with the lights off, hugging your bruised heart against your knees. But it will hurt less tomorrow. And maybe not even hurt at all next week.

The same way you can't stop thinking about the pain right now is the same way it will go away and soon be like nothing happened. You won't even remember how much you thought about it.

If you feel lonely, feel lonely. If you feel sad, feel sad. If someone disappointed you and made you think you were special only to remind you that there are a million of other girls just like you out there, be disappointed. Don't try to change your feelings or act like they don't exist, because they're valid. You're valid. And that's what matters.

Right now you feel like the world doesn't get you. But it does. People are worrying about the same things you are. People are feeling the same way you are. You're not alone, you never were and you never will be. Remember that.

You need to realize that life doesn't just stop because you got your heart broken. It doesn't just stop because you lost someone close to you. It doesn't stop because your best friend doesn't want to be best friends anymore. It doesn't stop because you failed that assignment, it just doesn't. A lot of things are actually super insignificant. Only one thing is significant, and one thing only: you.

We have to be willing to welcome the end of things. We have to know and accept that nothing lasts forever and that's the only way we can learn to fall in love with the moments and people that are meant to be there.

YOU have to look at yourself every morning in the mirror. YOU have to put yourself to seep every night underneath your sheets. YOU have to be alone in your thoughts. So, be selfish, cry a little more, go home to see your parents & just believe me when I say, you will be okay.

Keep Smiling,

Love, Self