Going To A Mental Hospital Taught Me To Take Care Of Myself

Dealing with bipolar depression and anxiety has been a journey.

1092

Dealing with bipolar depression and anxiety is really hard, but you are not alone. After being hospitalized for the third time, these are some things I learned, and I hope you can benefit from them.

1. It's OK not to be OK. 

Everyone needs help sometimes. It's just how life is. Don't blame yourself for not feeling your best all the time. It is literally impossible to be happy all the time. We are all human, and having these emotions are normal. The best thing you can do is reach out for support when you are feeling low and get the help you need.

2.Your relationship with yourself is the most important one. 

You are worthy. You are loved. You can get through this. Having a positive relationship with yourself is so important because you are constantly with your own thoughts. You deserve empathy, forgiveness, kindness, and love for yourself. Taking the time to take care of yourself when you are feeling upset helps to build your relationship with yourself and reinforces positive thinking.

3. Advocate for yourself.

Speaking up for yourself is key. Be assertive with what you need and what you want. Be respectful, but do not back down from doing what is best for you. Only you know what you need, and communicating that is so important to recovery.

4. Set goals, even if they're small.

Setting goals and completing them, no matter how small they seem, feels good! Write down your goals, your dreams, your accomplishments, and your hopes for the future. Give yourself credit. Give yourself something to look forward to. Being in a difficult place does not last forever, and letting yourself be proud of who you are feels really amazing.

5. It's OK to set boundaries. 

Setting boundaries is so important to physical and emotional health. But setting boundaries is not just with other people, it's also with yourself. Remember that you do not have obligations towards anyone. You do not owe anyone your time, effort, or yourself if it is detrimental to you or your health. Also, remember that when someone breaks these boundaries, you have a right to speak up and walk away. Taking care of yourself is more important than offending someone.

6. Be honest.

If you cannot be honest with yourself or others, you can't develop long-term relationships because there is not any trust. Trust yourself and have principles you follow in life. Being honest about how you feel just feels good! The consequences of not being honest with yourself can lead to worsening self-esteem and messes with your progress. Don't give in.

7. Self-care really is important.

Sometimes, getting out of bed is hard. Sometimes even taking a shower is hard. I get it. Take baby steps to make yourself feel better, even if it's hard. Forcing yourself to take small steps will make you feel good about yourself and allow you to feel good about your progress. Calling someone, going to therapy, journaling, skincare, or even just watching some TV are all forms of self-care. Whatever makes you feel better in a healthy way, do it. Take good care of yourself because you are beautiful and lovely and you deserve love and compassion.

8. Nothing lasts forever, and that can be a good thing. 

This rough patch you are going through will not last forever. There is comfort in this. Even though it seems never-ending, there is hope. There are so many helpful resources in this world to help you and wonderful people to support you in your time of need. Life is not horrible (although it can seem like it). Life is a gift, and finding things worth living for is so important. It doesn't matter if it seems like the most meaningless thing in the world. Find something worth living for.