Reactions to the Coronavirus in Phoenix
News

Reactions to the Coronavirus in Phoenix

Some Phoenix residents said that there needs to be no panic about the Coronavirus because the cases are being handled well by the government.

25
Reactions to the Coronavirus in Phoenix

Some Phoenix residents said to stop the unnecessary stress about the Coronavirus and remain hopeful for a potential vaccine in the near future.

They said because of the country's expanding population and the constant travel in and out of the country, the Coronavirus is inevitable but not alarming.

Phoenix had its first case of the Coronavirus confirmed recently, but residents are living their lives as usual with little to no reactions.

A retired businessman said the Department of Health is working tirelessly to prevent a pandemic spread of the virus.

"They'll find an antivirus pretty quickly," Dale Bedenkop said as he sipped his coffee in Dunkin' Donuts on Saturday.

He said that because of the false claims on social media, people have created fear for themselves.

People do not research some of the misinformation, leading them to think the government's information is inadequate, Bedenkop said.

"There's a lot of medical stuff that we don't know about and we don't need to know about, because we don't have enough knowledge to understand what [the government] is talking about," Bedenkop said.

Bedenkop said that instead of making incorrect assumptions about the spreading of the Coronavirus, people should trust that the government is handling the outbreak well.

Another resident agrees with Bedenkop about the handling of the virus but expressed concern regarding travel and the economy.

Carol Gant, a former real-estate agent and flight attendant, said people living in Phoenix should not take any major precautions in their everyday activities because there has only been one reported case in the state.

"Maybe we don't need to be too worried [because] it's just one case and they'll handle it correctly," Gant said.

Gant's previous experience as a flight attendant gives her insight on how crews do not clean or disinfect the cabin properly between destinations.

"Let's put it this way: I'm not going on any airplanes or cruise ships any time soon," Gant said.

Gant agrees that the government is trying to find possible solutions to limit the spread of the virus, however, she does not think the government is accurate in the information they provide.

Gant said she wants honesty from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention because they are trusted as the main source for accurate updates about the virus.

Gant predicts that as the virus spreads, the economy will suffer downfalls because China is such a huge factor in the production of goods.

"Everything we buy, everything you pick up, clothes, you name it. Look at the bottom, it says 'Made in China,'" Gant said.

The outbreak of the Coronavirus started in Wuhan, China in December of last year.

There have been 82,000 confirmed Coronavirus cases globally, 53 of the cases being within the United States.

The virus is airborne and the most predominant symptom is respiratory problems.

The symptoms of the virus usually appear between 2-14 days after being infected.

The Coronavirus has sparked prejudice toward the Asian community due to its region of origin.

The CDC is working to find a vaccine or some other solution to contain the virus, but the prejudice is quickly spreading as more cases of the virus appear, a Phoenix resident said.

Delaney Fowell said that just because the virus is from China, that does not mean people should generalize their hate toward every Asian person they see.

"[People] are not taking into consideration that there's a lot of factors that go into it instead of just race," Fowell said.

Fowell said that being ignorant is common among everyone and the Coronavirus has made it easier for people to target one specific race.

Fowell shared the same thoughts as other residents when it came to her fears about the spread of the virus.

"I am not really scared. I also know that if you go in to seek medical help as soon as you feel symptoms, I think you're fine," Fowell said.

The Coronavirus continues to spread globally, but these Phoenix residents agree it is better to stop the panic and trust the government's approach for limiting the spread.