A (Mostly Definitive) Ranking Of Urban Decay's Naked Palettes

Don't pretend like you don't own one.

1045
urbandecaycosmetics / Instagram

If you know a girl and this girl has ever worn makeup, said girl likely owns an Urban Decay Naked palette. These palettes were crafted to be more neutral-toned eyeshadow colors that work for a wide variety of woman. Some may say they are the GOAT of makeup palettes.

As an avid user of makeup, I am addicted. I own all but one of the Naked palettes that exist (still on my way to purchasing Naked Ultimate Basics, and Naked Petite Heat came out like, yesterday). The colors can truly build upon one another to develop a more opaque color, but can also be used very lightly to develop a much more natural look. I strongly believe that the Naked palettes all in all are the greatest eyeshadow collection there ever was, but I certainly have some preferences in terms of one over the other.

Here’s a (mostly definitive) ranking of the Urban Decay Naked palettes.

8. Naked 2 Basics

Basics has a little bit more variety to me in terms of its colors. With Basics, I could develop a darker, smoky look, or go for a more natural look. I like that I can use this palette for a variety of looks. That being said, since there are so few colors, I usually don’t bring this palette with me everywhere.

6. Naked Smoky

Smoky no longer is made, RIP. While Smoky was a good palette, I don’t think it was entirely successful because the colors weren’t perfect for a generic smoky look. It has more of a variety of colors, and I use these for different looks — not smoky ones. I love that it has both shimmery and matte colors and I certainly will continue to use colors from my own palette until I’ve hit pan on every color!

5. Naked Ultimate Basics

I don’t know a ton about Ultimate Basics, but I do know it’s full of a variety of matte colors. I feel like I could create a matte look with a lot more depth using this palette. I like that this palette has a lot more options than Basics and Basics 2.

4. Naked 3

I’m a personal fan of Naked 3. I love the colors and the pinky tones. That being said, this palette doesn’t work for everyone out there, so not as many others are a huge fan. I use this palette often in conjunction with other palettes and definitely enjoy that it’s certainly different in terms of tones as compared to Naked and Naked 2.

3. Naked Heat

Heat is BEAUTIFUL. Maybe reds and oranges are trendy right now, but I’m loving this palette. It has a lot of transition colors that go with both darker and lighter looks. I think that if one were to only use this palette, it would definitely not be a “naked” natural look, but regardless, almost every look I’ve seen with just this palette is an amazing creation.

2. Naked 2

Almost everyone I know has this palette. It has so many amazing colors that you can wear every day and every night. This palette is truly awesome. I find that it doesn’t have enough transition shade colors for my personal taste, but that doesn’t stop me or anyone else from using it all the time.

1. Naked

The original. The OG. The classic. The original Naked palette is one of the greatest of all time. I seriously can’t bring myself to not use it if it’s laying around. There are so many great looks you can make and every color is stunning. There’s a reason this classic won’t ever stop being made.

What’s your favorite makeup palette? Do you agree?