Why Is Racism Still So Close To Home?

Why Is Racism Still So Close To Home?

The story of a young couple facing the cruel effects of discrimination and racial profiling.

54
Why Is Racism Still So Close To Home?
Australians Against Racism

In this photo below, Raymond Lamb is shown moving his refrigerator:

One could ask how this photograph exemplifies the issue of racism.

It is the story behind the photo that shows that discrimination is ever present in today’s world. Mr. Lamb and his lovely new wife had just made the decision to sign a rent-to-own contract for a mobile home in Pine Acres Mobile Home Park in Cassadaga, NY. The man who was selling the house had agreed to lease this home after a discussion with Raymond’s wife. The issues did not occur until the discovery of Mr. Lamb’s race by both the homeowner and the park manager.

Once all of the couple’s possessions were moved into their quaint new home, and the contracts signed, the homeowner began to seem uncomfortable with the agreement. He tried to get the couple to leave explaining that his son was now interested in the house and was willing to pay more. Obviously with the papers signed and the couple settled, this was no longer an option for the owner. He even attempted to charge the young couple $5,000 to keep living in the house, threatening that he would sell it out from under them. He then reported to the park manager that the Lamb’s had moved in before going through the necessary steps with the trailer park company. He did not mention to the Lamb’s that this was necessary before giving them the keys.

When the park manager came to address the issue, He told Mrs. Lamb that all would be well if the background checks came back clear. This gave the couple a sense of hope. When the manager came back to pick up the forms, he encountered Raymond. Seeming significantly more aggravated with the situation than the first time he stopped at the home, the Lambs became worried, but would not hear back from the park manager for some time. In the meantime the couple continued to pay rent and live in the house.

It was not long before the older white woman next door began stirring up a fuss as a result of her new neighbors. Until she discovered that one of the new residence was non-white, everything was going smoothly for the couple. They continued to mind their own business and kept to themselves despite the constant dirty looks. She even came over one time to tell Mrs. Lamb, “We have rules here." This comment could have been considered outright racist, though it was very vague. Nevertheless, this proves that racism, while sometimes hidden, is still all around us. Then came the issues with the park manager, Mr. Larry Harris.

Harris told the Lambs that they were not approved to live in the trailer court as a result of a criminal history. Mrs. Lamb was not aware of any criminal background from her husband and was directed to call AMRent, where she was proved right. They said that everything seems great and there was no clear reason as to why they were not approved to stay in the park. She then called and explained that there must have been a mistake as the background checks were all clear. Then Larry Harris said that it was because of poor credit that they were not approved to move in. However, they had already been living there and paying the bills (not to mention Kaylee’s- Mrs. Lamb’s- credit score was well into the 600s). Finally, the manager said that the neighbors had been complaining, and that was the reason they were not allowed to reside there any longer. They said that there was nothing that could be done to change the way it was. The house would inevitably be evicted if the young couple did not leave. A former resident of the park said to Mrs. Lamb, “I don’t understand why they are doing this, you’re white”. She was not aware that Kaylee’s husband was black when she made the statement. So it would seem that the racism in this park has been going on for quite some time and that no one has been able to stop it. Through the grapevine, Raymond and Kaylee heard that Mr. Harris made the comment “I am done dealing with white people” when discussing our situation. It’s obvious that here Larry was making light of the serious social problem that is racism. It’s not hard to see that he really didn’t mean “white people”.

When it was made clear that the couple didn’t have much choice in the matter, they had a hard time dealing with the stress. Mr. Melanio Caro, the homeowner, had told the tenants that he had sold his trailer to Owl Homes, and that they had to be out before the 2nd of the fast approaching month. Not only did they both go to school full-time while Mr. Lamb worked two jobs, now they had to search for a new place to stay, when they had already invested over $2,000 in the house they intended to make their home. With only about a week to act, the couple quickly moved in with some high school friends, in their two bedroom apartment. Two couples, one expecting a baby, sharing a small place and one bathroom.

While they were grateful for the kindness of their new roommates, the Lambs were sad to see their home go. They adjusted and moved on, however, because there were no other options for them. After months had passed, the couple drove by their old home, to discover that the house was still in the lot. Caro hadn’t sold it to Owl Homes at all. It was just one of many lies to get what he wanted and to get the interracial couple out of the neighborhood. He stole their money, he stole their home, and he completely discriminated against and disrespected them. The most awful part is that it will happen again if nothing is done. This man, and the entire mobile home business (Ulrich Pine Acres), is treating people unfairly based on race.

This story impacts my life every day and opens my eyes to the truth about racism, because the wife in this narrative is me. I thought I knew all there was to know about racism. But until I married the love of my life, I didn’t realize just how blind I was to it. I still don’t know what the right move is in this situation with Mr. Caro, but to help address this social issue I knew I had to take this case public and seek justice for my family and the other families who have faced discrimination within this mobile home park and ones alike. So please, if you are in the area and looking for a place to live, don’t choose Ulrich Pine Acres in Cassadaga NY. If you know anyone who is looking onto it or who currently lives there, please share this article with them. It is important that local people know that racism is ever present right here in our hometown. If we all stood up to the racism in our own towns, we could really help to make a difference and move forward in the world. Share my story if you think racism truly is still an issue in today’s world. If you have stories of your own I encourage you to share them with the world. We need to spread awareness and pinpoint areas in need of change.

Follow this link to see the park that displayed this cruel discrimination and stripped my new husband and me of our dignity and the home we so desperately desired. If you still cannot find it, the mobile home park is right next to the Cassadaga super market. There is a giant “Trump” sign on the shed, if you were still unsure.

You cannot miss it.