How a Quiet Stroll Through a Park Can Change Your Life

"However one reaches the parks, the main thing is to slow down and absorb the natural wonders at leisure." - Michael Frome

52

I can’t recall the first time my mother walked with me through the weaving paths of Silver Lake Park. As a young girl, my heart was mesmerized by the countless trails of this vast unknown.

Today, each path reminds me of an intimate midday stroll with my mom when I would hear the innumerable stories of her own childhood memories within the park. Endless anecdotes intertwine with the twisting paths, reeling my mind into the exquisite realms of my beloved home.

Residing at the core of this park is an enormous reservoir, a boundless lake housing the terrifying myths of those who dared to swim within its depths. My mother had incessantly warned of the dangerous whirlpools within the reservoir, telling the stories of rebellious teenagers who faced the consequences of a bold nighttime swim. Swimming in the reservoir at night was a sign of pure accomplishment, a brave rite of passage known among my tiny neighborhood. The entirety of Silver Lake Park was anchored by these active legends; would I ever venture into its enticing waves?

As my eight-year-old self sat on the perimeter of the reservoir, safely encapsulated by the familiarity of my beloved bench, the spiraling waves coaxed me with an intoxicating whisper. The lapsing current, relentlessly drumming against the shore, urged me to journey into the dark depths of the water. In front of my eyes sat a sturdy metal fence, acting as a mediator between the security of my bench and the seductive waves of the reservoir. The simple fence acted as the sole voice of reason in this pressing circumstance, serving as both a parental reminder and a daring symbol of defiance.

The perimeter of Silver Lake Park is clustered with grand oak trees, acting as the watchful pillars of this hidden universe. With outstretched branches, these parental trees constantly monitor the workings of such an intricate landscape. As the seasons periodically changed and I gradually grew out of my childhood, I was assured that the permanence of my trees would always remain. I could always depend on their fixed loyalty, enabling me to feel grounded within the endless depths and changes of the park.

I recall spending most of my childhood days seated on my favorite bench, a simple wooden structure placed strategically atop a grassy hill. Sitting on my bench, looking down upon the majestic view of the glistening reservoir, I was a pioneer. Ready each day to embark on a new journey, my childhood brain became fixated on exploring every crevice of this landscape. Alongside my older sister, we were determined to claim every breathing inch of our park.

Before setting out on our daily adventures, my sister and I would sit on our bench for a few moments and plan our journey. As we discussed our latest endeavors, our attention would become suddenly diverted towards the sprightly squirrels racing each other up our neighboring oak tree; their bushy tails became a zooming blur, conveying the relentless excitement occurring within this playful chase. After this brief performance, we again looked out into the vast unknown of our park. As our dreaming eyes stared at the limitless possibilities of the scene, the sun seemed to humbly blink through the lush webs of tree branches. The sun was indecisive; flickering moments of her golden warmth were balanced by the cool shadows of her intentional absence.

Together we marveled at the glorious scene in front of our eyes. We were cocooned in this hidden universe, safely enveloped within the symphony of its boundaries. The gentle breeze tenderly rustled through the grass, each thankful blade seemed to happily sigh for this refreshing act of compassion. The revitalizing breaths of the wind filled the entire scene with a communal energy, creating a mutual activism throughout each aspect of the landscape. These sporadic gusts breathed life into the park, providing a universal pulse amidst the various intricacies of my beloved world.

Each small sound within the park contributed to its subtle orchestra. The constant pulse of the chirping crickets anchored the rest of the musical composition, creating a rhythmic basis for the harmonious scene. The incessant melodies of the birds reminded me that I was never alone here. Each unique bird, from the red-bellied robins to the enchanting mourning doves, played an integral role in the park’s daily performance. Some kept the tune rather lively with their upbeat tweets, while others maintained a more relaxed tempo with their slow, ponderous peeps. There seemed to be some unknown language within the sky, informing me of the birds’ mysterious world frolicking above my head.

As my sister and I traversed the endless paths of our secret universe, the living fragrances of the park permeated through the warm air. Luscious floral notes mingled amidst the caressing breezes, providing a tangible voice for the colorful groves of lilacs and tulips. These silky scents interbred with the mustiness of the dirt paths, creating an earthly aroma that was distinct to Silver Lake Park. As we continued our stroll, the enticing coolness of the reservoir began to waft through the breeze, again coaxing us towards the forbidden water.

As the ducks carelessly bounced atop the waves of the reservoir, I wondered if they were aware of the terrifying myths that were so hardwired into my youthful brain. The waves relentlessly pattered against the rocky shores, each sound reigniting the looming mysteries of this vast scene. The lapsing water seemed to possess a dual-nature; the crystallized surface glistened in such an ethereal manner, yet my mind was incessantly haunted by its terrifying abilities. Silver Lake Park is my forever home, a sweeping adventure of both my past and my present.