10 Questions We All Want To Ask The University President

I just want a delay or cancellation.

2374
Henrique Félix

When you're a freshman taking a tour of the University you may choose, you don't really know the behind the scene activities that students undergo to get their school year flowing. All of the extracurricular, the note-taking, the planners...

So there you are a couple years into school. You think, "Why did they not tell me any of this stuff before I signed up?"

There are lots of things you will question as your college career takes off, and this list is just the start.

1. Why do we not have delays or cancellations anymore?

Right now, In Northeast Indiana, we are experiencing single digit temperatures. Sometimes these temps are below 0 degrees F. The wind chill makes it even colder than it actually is. There is snow everywhere. However, you will still find me walking to class in as many layers I could possibly put on this morning. Thank you to the professors that let our grade be reliant on our attendance.

2. Why do I still have to pay for parking?

I pay thousands of dollars a semester to take 15 credit hours... Most of the time, that's only 5 classes.

3. Why can't I opt out of paying for some services?

I never use the recreation center. Why do I have to pay for it? I can do my cardio on the sidewalk for free.

4. Why are YOUR books so expensive?

I can literally go a block down the road or online to get my books at half the price as yours.

5. Why can't we choose where our surplus money goes?

Like I said, I pay thousands of dollars for these classes. Of course, our school needs money to function. Our facility needs paid. But, instead of building a sidewalk right next to another sidewalk, how about we invest in something that would be helpful for students. Like a doggy daycare for students, the spend all day in classes and have to leave their animal at home all day by them self. And if you're reading this, "well you should have left your dog at home" was not an option for me.

6. Speaking of sidewalks, why do we have so many sidewalks?

We literally have a sidewalk on the sidewalk.

7. Where are the bike lanes?

Our university only has bike lanes on roads that take you to and from campus. What about bike lanes that get you back and forth from classes? We only get 15 minutes to get from one side of campus to the other.

8. Where are the crosswalks?

At my university, they have a pretty popular road that goes right down the middle of campus. 1. In the cold, it sucks to wait on a line of cars that ignore the fact your need across. 2. What if one of us got hit by said car? Who would be under fire here?

9. Don't we have campus police anywhere?

I always see police in their patrol car, never on foot. I literally watched a kid try to steal a bike once and there were no campus police near me. I was in the middle of campus.

10. Why do I have to take so many core classes?

It's not even about the number of classes you have to take, it's about what we are taking. I'm a business major and I have to take a gym class to graduate. I'm sorry, I didn't know that I would pay thousands of dollars to go back to middle school.

Some of these questions can get me pretty fired up. Others are just because I'm curious. Either way, we all wish to ask our college/university at least a couple from above.