10 Questions I Have For The University of Hawaii at Mānoa Going In To The Fall 2020 Semester

Because these questions need to be answered...

927

The University of Hawaii at Mānoa is planning on having students return to campus in the fall. With the COVID-19 pandemic going on, students have thousands of questions about how things are going to work. Here are the top 25 questions I've been wondering as I prepare for the fall semester.

1. Will tuition costs be adjusted based on how many classes are online vs. in person?

This is the most common question I see, and the biggest question I have. Out of the 5 classes I'm scheduled to take, 4 of them are now going to be online and I will only have one in person. So like...is the tuition going to be changed because I'm not getting that in-person classroom environment?

2. What is going to happen to the students that depend on dorming that will not be able to have a room this fall (and possibly spring)?

This question doesn't directly affect me because I'll be living off-campus with my husband and son, but I have seen multiple people upset about limited dorm room availability. Some people can't afford to live in their own apartment off-campus, especially in Hawaii, and not being offered a dorm room is extremely upsetting to them.

3. What facilities will be open to using on campus?

Will all the libraries be open? What about the gym? What food places will be open?

4. What is happening in sports?

Will the teams still play? If they are, will there be limited audience seating or none at all?

5. Will student fees be adjusted?

This question ties in with the tuition one but is also different. Why pay all of the fees in full price if a lot of us won't actually be on campus most of the time? Even if the gym is open, I'll only be on campus 1-2 times a week so I wouldn't be using it that often.

6. What would happen if there is a COVID-19 outbreak on campus?

Going back to campus imposes some risks. What if an outbreak happens? Will the school shut down and move EVERYTHING online?? Will it end the semester early?

7. What happens with clubs on campus?

Will the clubs not be allowed to meet? Will they not allowed to host tabling events or any kind of event? Will new clubs be allowed to be added?

8. How is Greek Life going to work?

Again, this ties in a bit to #7, but I'm sure current members and PNMs are wondering how Greek Life will look this fall. Will there be no formals or socials? What is the sorority rush even going to look like?!

9. Will the bus on campus still run?

A lot of people depend on the campus bus to get them from one place to another. Some people will still have to go to classes in person and may need to utilize the bus to ensure timeliness. Will the bus still run? If so, what will the maximum capacity be? Will there be more running at a time due to the limited capacity?

10. Where can we attend Zoom classes if we don't have time to go home in between an in-person class and the online class?

I'm sure there are others with this question, and I am also sure that most of the spaces that would be a go-to will be filled. So, how and where are we supposed to attend our Zoom classes without it being loud and noisy??