3 Questions That Every College Student Has Thought

We've all asked ourselves these at one point or another.

38
Alexis Brown

While making my first drive up to college, questions began to formulate in my mind. Whether they were big questions like, "Is this the right college for me?" to small questions of, "What am I going to wear on my first day of college classes?," these questions were ravaging through my mind. There was no right answer for any of them, and I knew that. There are three general questions that every college student has thought about at some point in their college career:

1. Am I in the right major?

Studies have shown that college students will change their major anywhere from 3-4 times before they graduate. It may sound scary, that what you choose to study will determine your fate in the job market. This isn't necessarily true. It's not uncommon for people to change jobs on a regular basis. That's the whole purpose of going to college, to find what you enjoy in life from a professional perspective and to produce in that field of study.

My advice to all you incoming freshman or graduating high school seniors about to attend college is to research. Take some time out of your busy day and just look at things that might interest you and ask people in that field about what it's like. Casually interview them about their professional life and what they do. You'd be surprised with what you might find.

2. Should I rush a fraternity or sorority?

This is a completely personal decision. No one can make you rush a frat or a sorority. There are significant impacts of being in a fraternity or sorority, both good and bad. For starters, you do make a good amount of friend or better called, "brothers and sisters." Networking is a valuable skill to college that may come of use in the future.

One of the most truthful and applicable pieces of advice I got before I came to college was that the key to college is simply time-management. If you as an individual can operate on a high-intensity level and still maintain sanity, you are capable of being involved and being busy. We as humans do this on a daily basis.

I personally am not in a fraternity and therefore cannot adequately give you any insight on the in's-and-out's of fraternities or sororities. However, I will say, if it strikes your curiosity try it out. What's that traditional saying? "Don't knock it, till you try it."

3. How do I get As in my classes?

I have no intention of bragging on this subject, but I did have a 4.0 GPA in the Spring of 2017. You wanna know my secret? Its simple: do the work. I am not super smart, nor am I prodigy of some sort. I simply do my work. For a hypothetical example, if I have a deadline for a major paper that's worth half of my overall grade for the class that is due on a Sunday night, I will work on it all week and prioritize myself to make time for that paper. I try, that is a loose term, but, I try not to procrastinate because procrastination, in the real world, is not tolerated.

College is full of opportunities and distractions. However, a big reason you are attending this institution is to make yourself a brighter, more intellectual, and productive member of society. On top of that, have you seen the price tag for college recently? I get that partying and making lifelong friends are important too, but they should be second to your education.

There are plenty of more questions that are constantly flowing through every mind of a college student. These answers are totally personal and do have a slight bias to them, depending on the question. Nonetheless, if there's one thing I have learned so far from college outside of the classroom it that no matter what: it is up to you. As the graduating senior or incoming freshman, it's time to make your own decisions. Guidance will be offered to those who ask or seek for it, but college is a big push toward freedom, and the benefits/consequences that come with it.