6 Reasons Quarantine Hits Hardest For Couples In Long-Distance Relationships

Two words: zero affection.

125

I'm not one to complain, but I am in a semi-long distance relationship. Whenever I'm not on campus, it's practically an LDR. We're two to three hours away from each other, and because we have different lifestyles and work schedules, it's pretty much impossible to get a call in or even just small talk through text. And now that we're in quarantine mode, and schools became remote and online learning came into play, this LDR is going to last around four to five months or so, and I'm just not ready for this sudden change. At all.

Here are 6 reasons why this is making quarantine even worse:

It feels like part of your heart and yourself is missing.

Waking up every morning to an empty bed lacking that sweetness of warmth warming up my whole body isn't helping with missing him. It's only just reminding me that I'm not longer cuddling with him every night. Knowing that my S.O. may be up all night or just sleeping at different hours bothers me, because that just reminds me of how real this whole social distancing is.

Talking to them is pretty much just talking to a wall.

It's nearly impossible to be always on your phone, especially when this quarantine doesn't come with an inexistent academic life. Yes, we still have classes. And it's online this time! That definitely requires more commitment and more up all night hours. So yes, when I try to speak to my S.O. because I miss them, I almost always get a no response until like three or four hours later.

You're not gonna see them in person for who knows how long.

Yea, seriously. Cuomo says that this social distancing thing is just going to extend to May 15 because the virus is gonna be in peak period. But who knows? This whole quarantine stay-at-home-mode may just extend to mid-summer. I really don't want to jinx this, but it's best to be prepared.

There is ZERO AFFECTION.

We're human beings, and we always crave that physical and emotional intimacy. Especially those who are in relationships, we thrive on it. We crave our partner's warmth and physical acts of love, but in an LDR, that wish should pretty much be forgotten. We should just forget the physical acts, and erase those actions from our mind. I guess we can please ourselves, but it just doesn't feel the same.

There's a possibility of more fights and disagreements.

Because we're further away, we may get into more fights and arguments due to stress and anxiety. I personally am super anxious so I would get very insecure during times when my S.O. doesn't respond for a certain amount of time, or when they're more invested in video games than me. But yeah, it's not healthy to a certain extent, especially on the more extreme side of things. But one thing's for certain: more stress. And when we miss someone more, we get into small scrabbles with them, regardless if we mean to or not.

You can't help but wonder "Is he/she cheating?"

I know some people have this thought at the back of their minds, whether it's subconsciously or consciously. Sometimes, we even give into our doubts and confront our S.O. But that isn't always good.

It's tough being in an LDR, but it does show how strong you both can be, especially if you've been together for a while. Love does last, and sometimes distance can be that annoying bug, but it can never get in the way of true love.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.