Pita Pizzas & Stir Fry Is The PERFECT Recipe For When You're Stuck In Quarantine On A Friday Night

Reinventing pizza nights.

13
Male and Female cooking dinner

During the lockdown, I've learned to spend more and more time in the kitchen eating snacks and trying out to change my old eating habits by munching on new recipes with healthier alternatives. As my family and I were looking at ways to change up the usual weekly menu, my dad suggested making mini pizzas out of pita bread. Since I can only eat one to three slices of pizza on my own (with witnesses around), my dad pointed out that making personal pizzas would be easier. So we tried it and the results were so good I had to share the genius recipe with you.

Ready in 10 minutes. Serves 1 (1 pita pizza per person).

Ingredients for the Pizzas:

1 whole-grain pita bread

1 tsp. Italian seasoning (can be substituted with oregano, basil, garlic powder or dried herbs)

2 tsp. olive oil (optional)

2 tablespoons red spaghetti sauce (can be substituted with pizza sauce)

1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (can be substituted with any shredded cheese)

Additional toppings (these can be substituted for whatever you like):

1/4 cup mushrooms

1 handful of freshly washed spinach (five or six leaves)

2 tsp. balsamic vinegar

Side:

1 bag of teriyaki stir fry with sauce (I bought mine from Walmart. It's a lot faster and easier than making your own but you can prepare your own ahead of time if you'd like to.)

1 tbsp. of olive oil

Instructions:

1. Heat your oven to 400 degrees and take out a baking sheet to put your pizzas on.

2. Pour 1 tablespoon (or 3 teaspoons) of olive oil into a frying pan for your stir fry and heat it up on medium-low. While the oil is heating up prepare your pita bread.

3. Using a brush or a spoon, put the olive oil and sprinkle your seasonings onto the pita bread to prepare it.

Pita bread cooking on stove Amber Aikman

3. Add your sauce and toppings and sprinkle the cheese all over the pita bread, covering the toppings.

pita bread with sauce and cheese Amber Aikman

4. Your olive oil should be perfectly heated up so add in your stir fry veggies. Mix your veggies with the olive and leave to cook for around 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

stir fry Amber Aikman

5. Place the pita bread on a baking sheet and bake for 5-7 minutes or for however long it takes for the cheese to be completely melted. The best way to not burn it is to keep a close eye on the pizza.

6. While the pizza is cooking, check in on your vegetables. Once the stir fry is cooked, add in the stir fry sauce and stir.

7. Once the pizzas are cooked, take them out carefully and cut them up. Serve with the stir fry.

pita bread pizza with a side of veggies Amber Aikman

There you have it! A quick, easy, and healthy meal. Make sure to keep an eye out on my TikTok @sudden_otter for a live video.