Put Your Hand Over Your Heart

Put Your Hand Over Your Heart

God bless the USA right now, because we need it.

230
instagram

I, like many young people I know, believe in what I believe in because of the values that my parents have instilled in me.

I know that things are different now than they were when my parents are growing up, so I try to listen with an open mind to the views of other people. I don't change my mind in what I believe in because if my mom has failed in every area as a mom, I know that she wants her kids to have good character. Good character and a good reputation is something that I know my brothers and I have always tried to uphold in our lives.

Everyone has probably seen an NFL game at some point in their life. Everyone probably also knows that the game does not begin until after the National Anthem has been sung/played. That being said, I have done some research on the recent NFL protesters.

The protest started last year with NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick kneeling during the national anthem to protest racial inequality. Over the course of the season, other players joined his protest by kneeling, sitting or raising their fists during the anthem.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't remember this being such a huge controversy last year. Maybe it is because not as many players participated last season, or maybe it is because Donald Trump was not stating his opinions to the extent he is now.

People can bash Trump all they want for tweeting about things and talk about how "politically incorrect" that is, but if Trump didn't tweet his raw thoughts and actual facts, the media would twist it into things he didn't even say.

That is one of the reasons I love Trump's tweets. Nobody can stop him from tweeting what is really going on in the world. Given, Trump is the president and could stand to be more professional with his tweets, that is what America needs –– to stop looking at everything through rose-colored lenses and see it for what it really is.

This season, Kaepernick is not employed by any NFL team (and I am not at all surprised about it).He has not spoken publicly about his movement in months. However, other players have continued to protest during the anthem, and Trump's statements led to widespread protests over the weekend.

Most teams stood by their players' decision to protest. I have major respect for the Pittsburgh Steelers left tackle, Alejandro Villanueva, for being the only player to come out and salute the American flag.

I believe that is because he knows first hand the true value of the American flag, National anthem, and what they both stand for symbolically. What I don't understand is why the NFL players can't find some other way to express their concerns.

NFL players have a very wide fan base. I would imagine if one of them had something to say, they could get others to listen. Why didn't he call a press conference and express his concerns about racial inequality?

Why didn't he express his negative thoughts about the situation instead of causing an even bigger problem by disrespecting our country as a whole? These athletes get paid to play a game.

And on top of that, they are very influential people in today's world. Wouldn't the world be such a good place if all the influential people used their popularity in order for the world to see the good?

I know that different players have different values and that some of them do use their influence for good, but I don't think you deserve to put on a uniform and play a sport on National Television if you can't respect those men and women who put on the most important uniform to be worn by a citizen in the United States.

I know racial equality is real and it exists. I am by no means saying it doesn't. I also know that not everyone agrees with the president. I just want these men that have the opportunity for their voices to be heard to express themselves in a more respectable manner.

The National Anthem kicks off every NFL, MLB, NBA, MLS and NHL game featuring an American team, and is played before every NASCAR race. I believe there is a reason for that.

I think it is played to show admiration and respect for the people who pay the ultimate price (their lives) so that we can even have events like basketball and football games. I am not sure how kneeling during the anthem proves any points as far as racial issues goes.

I do not know how kneeling during the anthem can be the solution to any of the problems that the NFL is facing.

Romans 7:1-2 "Everyone must submit to governing authorities. For all authority comes from God, and those in positions of authority have been placed there by God. So anyone who rebels against authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and they will be punished."

You don't have to like those governing over you, but God tells us to respect them. In all honesty, I don't know that much about the real situation and I won't lose sleep over it, but we need to wake up and see that this is about something much bigger than kneeling for 120 seconds during a football game to prove a point about race.

I believe in freedom of speech. I believe each player should be allowed to stand up for what they believe in, but they need to find a different way. There are veterans who lost their legs fighting for our country who would give anything to be able to stand during the anthem, so show some dang respect and put your hand over your heart. It really is the least you could do.