Why Puns Are Good For Your Health

Why Puns Are Good For Your Health

See for yourself. Eye am not kidding.

1990
Why Puns Are Good For Your Health
Google

pun [puhn] noun
- the humorous use of a word or phrase so as to emphasize or suggest its different meanings or applications, or the use of words that are alike or nearly alike in sound but different in meaning; a play on words

If you know me, you've noticed I like to slide in a good pun for every occasion. It doesn't matter what I'm doing, I can be shopping in the mall or in the middle of an argument, if I see the opportunity to use a pun in the conversation, I'm taking it. Most people cringe when this happens, but I like to think it's because they're upset that they didn't think of it first rather than believe that they actually hate me for my pun (fun?) addiction. There are few times people actually laugh at the puns I blurt out mid-conversation. I like those people. They get me. What the people who cringe fail to realize, is that puns are actually good for you. Not only are they good for your mentality, but they're good for your physical well-being, as well.

The best thing about punning (yes, I looked it up, this is a real word) is that it helps indicate whether or not a person really has similar intelligence to you. If you have created a pun and someone doesn't understand it, immediately acknowledge that they can try again next time and recognize that you deserve so much better. Because of this, puns are a perfect (punfect?) way to make friends. Background knowledge is almost always required to understand puns, so if someone gets what you're saying, they're perfect for you. I recommend using a pun when meeting someone for the first time. It establishes your intelligence (and theirs) right off the bat. Most importantly, anyone who laughs at a pun is an automatic keeper. Those people are rare. Cherish them forever.

I feel very strongly about using puns in a day-to-day lifestyle. They are important. Not only are they indicators of intelligence, but they actually aid your well-being. Yes, that's right folks, puns physically increase your health. Crazy? Not quite. Modern medical studies have actually proven that experiencing humor benefits your health in that it can reduce stress, enhance cardiovascular fitness and boost the immune/endocrine systems. Basically, if you want to start living a healthier lifestyle and you're not great at keeping up the good work at the gym, just start inserting puns into your daily life and you will live forever and ever. You're welcome.

For more pun information, I suggest you read "The Pun Also Rises: How the Humble Pun Revolutionized Language, Changed History, and Made Wordplay More Than Some Antics" by John Pollack for deeper insight to the benefit of punning in your life. It's important and it's revolutionary. Just keep punning.