An Open Letter to my Roomie

An Open Letter to my Roomie

"I'm dropping out to be a Publix cake decorator."

9
An Open Letter to my Roomie
Snapchat

Dear Abby,

If someone were to tell me that I've only known you for ten months, I'd have to laugh in their face. How is it that someone I met that short while ago knows me better than some people I've known nearly my whole life? How is it that I can stay up and laugh until two, three, four in the morning with someone who I only really met in real life barely four months ago? It seems surreal, impossible, but it's true. We first talked on the 28th of February 2016, ten months ago. And my life has been so much better for it.

Have something to say? Join Odyssey!

I've heard plenty of roommate horror stories over the years, both first hand and on the Internet. If I'm being completely honest, having a roommate was one of the scariest things about college to me. I've always had a room to myself, and I'm sort of a mess. I was scared that I'd be stuck with someone who didn't understand that, or one who would be out late partying every night or bring back people to the room at all hours of the night. I was so incredibly nervous about who I was going to spend at least the next year of my life living with. Thankfully, the UNCG Class of 2020 Facebook group took a lot of the fear away, allowing me to find someone who would have similar interests to mine, even someone who was wanting to be a part of the Ashby Residential College.

I found all of that in you, Abby, and I am so grateful that we were brought together when we were. I truly think that I would have dropped out of school if it hadn't been for you. I know that we joke about it all the time (especially in the context of my future career as a Publix cake decorator), but I really don't think that I would have made it through that first semester without you. That sounds melodramatic, but it's true. You're truly the best roommate I could have ever asked for. We're similar enough to get along, yet different enough to not get on each other's nerves. I know that I can trust you with anything and that you'll give me good advice, comforting words, or just a good time.

You've truly helped me with so much this semester. I truly feel as if I've known you my whole life, and I am so beyond grateful and lucky to have you not only as a roommate but as a friend. From making ridiculous photo edits at one in the morning (Dr. Will) to thirsting over boys on Tinder. From gossiping about people in the hall and the building to dragging our TA for filth. We've had so many incredible times together, and I look forward to all of the great things the future holds for us. See you in a couple weeks.

Your (great, obviously) roommate,

Kaitlyn

Watch more on Odyssey:

Loading video...