Proud To Be Mennonite

Proud To Be Mennonite

I'm a Mennonite Christ follower.

58
Proud To Be Mennonite
mennoniteusa.org

I was not always sure I wanted to be a Mennonite. I had gone to an elementary school and then a high school founded by Mennonites, both which had provided me with Mennonite history lessons and chapel time and worship. All of these things gave me mixed feelings about making the decision to be a Mennonite. I remember being proud that I wasn't actually a Mennonite by birth, and that unlike many of my peers, I did not bear a Mennonite last name, like Detweiler, Landis, or Moyer. I was proud that my parents had, instead, chosen to be Mennonite, and therefore it made me less so of one in a way, I had more freedom to choose.

Recently, though, I realized how much of my life was changed, molded, and effected by the Mennonite church, teachings and culture. I began to see how much I loved the little quirks and overall culture of our community (had to put this word somewhere, it's used all the time). But it all really hit me when I was asked to represent Mennonites in a denominations discussion panel at Eastern University.

Since my dad is a pastor, I reached out to him for sources, just so I could brush up on the history and main principles, and so that I could truly represent our denomination well. As I did my research, it became clear to me how much I agreed with, and suddenly I felt proud and honored to share my denomination with others.

In case you don't know, Mennonites are a denomination that came from a group called the Anabaptists, who were present in Europe during the time and rule of the Catholic Church. Anabaptists stressed a belief and life of faith, and not just of practice. The Mennonite faith were born when a man named Menno Simons began to write down the beliefs, the idea that the center focus was Jesus (Christocentric lenses), that as believers we should live in community, and that reconciliation is our work, the commitment to shalom, peace with God, peace with others, peace with ourselves and peace with the world around us.

See, being Mennonite isn't simply a denomination-- it's a culture. It truly is a lifestyle. How Mennonites lived and what they taught to be true resonated with me. I loved how, to them, being a lukewarm Christian was not what they wanted. Being a follower of Christ meant living out your faith and living out a life in order to touch those around you. Mennonites are generous, with their time and their money. They serve like no one else I have ever seen. And they truly care about the people and the world around them.

Another special quality of Mennonites is that they love music and singing, particularly four part harmony. I learned how to read music and find the harmony and melodies of songs easily. I learned that music is how I feel closest to God. Yes, sometimes I need traditional worship music to really praise God, but hymns are what help me pour my heart out to Him. And there is nothing quite like hearing four part harmony a cappella in a beautiful church with lots of people. It's a holy experience.

Although, at times, my evangelical parents and the part of me that is still a missionary kid tends to make me want to call myself, an "evangelical Mennonite," I am ultimately Mennonite. And I now fully understand why it is my parents chose to become a part of the church and this community. Mennonites have truly become my family. Even as my dad leaves our home church to become lead pastor elsewhere in the Mennonite community, I know it will still feel like home to me. Mennonites love like no other, serve like no other and sing like no other, and I am proud to be a Mennonite follower of Christ.