The Pros and Cons of Spring: From New Beginnings to Baseball

Exploring the Advantages and Drawbacks of Spring

This spring has been cooler than normal, but that does not mean it is all bad.

7291
cherry blossom trees near river
Photo by Redd F on Unsplash

Spring can be the best time of the year, but it can also be an annoying time of the year depending on how you look at it. I love how spring brings out the best in the flowers and trees begin to grow in earnest.

However, with the trees growing in earnest, the pollen spreads in earnest and affects a lot of allergies. Those with bad allergies with pollen and flowers and certain trees suffer the most in the springtime which is a huge con in my book. The positive side is the warmer weather that comes with spring.

However, there are more pros and cons that come with spring other than the two mentioned above. I am going to try my best to mention all of the pros and cons that come with the first warmer weather season of each year.

ADVANTAGES:

1. Warm Weather is not too far off

women's black brassierewomen's black brassiere Photo by Boxed Water Is Better on Unsplash

A lot of people count down to spring because of the assurance that warmer weather will not be too far off. I, for one, like winter, but this winter overstayed its welcome in a sense that we were talking about snow in mid-April and that is usually the time we begin to see the warmer weather.

On Easter this year, it was a very chilly 50 degrees, and the year before was 70 degrees, I like 70 degrees better and I hope next year is much warmer than last year.

2. The days are longer

photo of blue and pink painted high-rise buildingphoto of blue and pink painted high-rise building Photo by Robert V. Ruggiero on Unsplash

For those who enjoy having more sunlight, the springtime is the best time because as the season continues on, the days become longer and the sun sets later. Therefore, if you are a person who goes to bed when it becomes dark, you have more time to stay up and enjoy the day, if you are a person who has to be in before the streetlights come on, you get to be outside with your friends longer, and if you are person who does not enjoy driving at night, you get to stay at your destination longer.

3. Prom season happens in spring

woman in blue sleeveless dress wearing blue and white floral tiarawoman in blue sleeveless dress wearing blue and white floral tiara Photo by Todd Cravens on Unsplash

We have all been there, as soon as March of our high school senior year hits, we begin to make plans for our senior prom. The springtime is excellent for high school seniors because not only does the prom takes place, but you begin to count down the days until graduation, and that in itself is an accomplishment.

My prom took place at the end of May in the heat and there was the threat of storms but fortunately, it did not totally wash out the chances of outdoor pictures, which I did not take much of, but we still took them. I hope this year, the weather is good for the prom goers, and high school graduates.

4. You get to spend more time outdoors

person carrying yellow and black backpack walking between green plantsperson carrying yellow and black backpack walking between green plants Photo by Holly Mandarich on Unsplash

In winter we develop “cabin fever,” which contributes to us gaining weight and becoming less energized or depressed. Springtime brings a fresh energy to all of us, and a new outlook on life, and therefore, we tend to change our bodily figures to prepare for summer by taking more trips to the park and more jogs at our local track.

In addition to participating in those activities, we plan our weekends around planting flowers and watering our flowers, we tend to barbecue in our backyards and invite our very close friends and family to these events, and we even take walks around the neighborhood just to get out of the house, which is personally my favorite because I do not like staying in the house too long. In my opinion, this PRO makes spring my favorite time of year.

5. Baseball Returns

aerial photography of baseball stadiumaerial photography of baseball stadium Photo by Tim Gouw on Unsplash

My favorite sport is baseball, and the turn of spring begins the start of regular season Baseball. One of the reasons I like Baseball so much is your not freezing when you are attending the games and there are more minor league Baseball games than any other sport. The smell of popcorn and hot dogs fill the stadium and the taste of water ice cools your mouth, all while you have the opportunity to catch foul balls. The one thing I do hope for in the near future is that the Phillies began to look like a championship team again.

DRAWBACKS:

1. Allergies are on the rise

white and brown bottle beside white tissue boxwhite and brown bottle beside white tissue box Photo by Diana Polekhina on Unsplash

For allergy sufferers, the springtime is the worse time because of the increase of the pollen that comes off of the trees. I suffer from allergies and I know some of my trees have pollen that gives me a reaction that does not feel too good. To combat this reaction, I have to make sure I take plenty of medication and watch the allergy tracker on the news or my weather app. I am happy that I do not have too bad of allergies, and I do feel bad for those who have bad allergies and I hope that they take plenty of medication because I hear this season is going to be bad.

2. The Risk of Severe Weather

sea waves crashing on shore during daytimesea waves crashing on shore during daytime Photo by Ray Harrington on Unsplash

During the springtime the heat that tries to stay and the cool air that tries to come in of course, creates thunderstorms. I am sometimes not of a fan of severe weather because of the very fact that there is damage that is left behind from these storms, and you have to find a way to clean up the mess that was left behind. The other issue with severe weather is that you lose power and depending on the severity of the storms, it can be for an extended period of time.

3. Spring can be cooler than normal

fawn pug covered by Burberry textile between plantsfawn pug covered by Burberry textile between plants Photo by Matthew Henry on Unsplash

This year especially is an example of how cool springtime can be. The beginning of spring was so cool that the trees were delayed in growing their leaves back. I do not remember seeing late blooming trees like I did this year, and It kind of scared me. Thankfully, the trees are growing leaves and they are growing them pretty quickly, I guest to make up for lost time. I hope next year the trees grow faster than they did this year.

4. Yard Grooming

brown pathway between green plantsbrown pathway between green plants Photo by Ignacio Correia on Unsplash

Although some may like keeping up with their yards, I do not, and I especially do not like cutting the grass, and I that is the worst part of spring in my book. The worst part is that you have to cut grass through the summer as well. This is the very reason why I am planning on getting an apartment where I do not have to worry about the grass right away. Once I get a house, I will either hire myself or have more of a desire to do it myself. Call me lazy, but I am not a fan of too much yard grooming, especially when it is not my house I am trying to make look pretty. I do stay here yes, so I guess I do have a hand in making my current home look “pretty”.

The Springtime is supposed to be the "transition" period between the winter and summer. I am more of a fan of the early spring as it is not too hot, and I do not have to sneeze as much because the trees are not ready to shed pollen quite yet. I am very excited to see what the rest of the spring has in store for us, and I hope those of you that do not think there are cons with spring are not offended when reading this article.

In my opinion, there are cons to every season, but some seasons have more pros. My personal favorite season is the fall, but let's enjoy the spring while we have it because pretty soon it will be beach weather.