Goodbye February 2018, Hello March 2018

Goodbye February 2018, Hello March 2018

Springing forward from my short-long month to a fresh, new month

351
Goodbye February 2018, Hello March 2018
Free4kWallpaper

February is an interesting month mostly because of Valentine's Day as well as being only 28 days long (excluding the even more interesting Leap Day that occurs every four years). This February has been no exception to interesting, but I feel as if it has been the longest month for me thus far, even without the additional Leap Day. A bunch of events contributed to it being a seemingly long month, most notably seasonal depression and midterm season, but since it is pretty much over (at last), I will sum up my adventure during this short-long month and how I plan to spring forward in March.

The need for change. I honestly could not be more relieved that this February is finally over. I remember it being the middle of February when I said that it has literally felt like the longest month of my life, and Valentine's Day was anything but cheerful for me, with rain and a bad panic attack to top it off. That was the time when my seasonal depression really took a turn for the worst and made the month even more dreary for me. Overall, this month has been a mixture of seasonal depression and anxiety, which I hope and plan to spring forward from.

Whew! That is the one and only word that can be used to accurately describe me right now, as it is a mixture of exhaustion and relief. First of all, the semester is pretty much halfway done (needless to say, midterm season hit me like a truck to put the cherry on top), and now that March is here, we have the time change (springing forward for even more sunlight), Saint Patrick's Day (being a Marshall student, I have plenty of green shirts for good luck), and spring along with spring break! They say that there is a light at the end of every tunnel, and thankfully that is [literally and figuratively] the case.

Spring forward! My dad told me that the key to alleviating anxiety and bad thoughts that lead to me feeling down is to think positively and make something to look forward to each day. For instance, something as small as getting Sheetz or Starbucks can immediately be something to look forward to and make the dread fade away. With March coming up, there are more than enough events to look forward to - or rather spring forward to!

Spring for new adventures. Although February 2018 was a month that has left me feeling stale and tired, my adventurous trait has still not died off. What helped me feel better was to leave my room and go out with friends to try new restaurants as well as seeing my doctor. Although I do not recommend eating out every night, it is definitely something to do on the weekends when only one dining hall is open and has a sub-par brunch. (I recommend a burger and fries from a premium restaurant for days like I had, since they are warm and flavorful for full satisfaction).

Marching forward. It's a new day (and month). Don't live in the past. I plan to use my past feelings and experiences as life lessons for what made me feel happy as well as what made me feel depressed in order to help me get a fresh start on one of the greenest months of the year. I plan to make March 2018 the biggest leap (without the additional February day) from the longest short month!