Pros And Cons Of Being An Only Child

Pros And Cons Of Being An Only Child

I always wished that I had a sibling growing up, but I'm also glad I didn't.

125
Pros And Cons Of Being An Only Child
Odyssey

When people find out I'm an only child they always tell me how lucky I am that I don't have a sibling. While yes being an only child definitely has it's perks, it also has it's downsides as well.

Pro: You get spoiled

For me this is the biggest advantage of being an only child. Because you are the only one your parents can usually afford to spoil you, or at least try to get you what you want most of the time. You also usually get to do more fun things because your parents don't have to spend money on anyone else but you.

Con: You have no one to play with

While it's nice and all that you have all this cool stuff, you have no one to share it with. One of the biggest cons of being an only child is you often have to find ways to entertain yourself (aka having a host of imaginary friends). Especially if you have older parents or live somewhere where there isn't much to do, your life centers around creating your own adventures with your best imaginary friend Tom.

Pro: You don't have to share a room

Another great thing about being an only child is that you can have your room all to yourself. Now I know that siblings don't always have to share rooms, but it's pretty common. Once I came to college and then had to deal with roommates I have learned to appreciate the fact that I never had to share a room with another person.

Con: You don't have someone that you connect with

While I love my parents and are very close to them, they are obviously older than me and therefore don't understand what I'm going through or don't really know how to give me advice that applies to me. With a sibling, I would usually have some I can look up to, or someone to go through the struggle of life with, or someone for me to share my knowledge with.

Pro: I don't have to fight with someone

This is another thing that I know not all siblings do, but it's pretty common for you to fight with your sibling at least once for taking or borrowing something they weren't supposed to, or for telling on you to your parents. It's nice not having to worry about someone taking something of mine without my permission, or not having to worry that they would tell our parents something to try to get me in trouble.

Con: You don't have someone to share that special bond with

While siblings can be annoying, they also love you and you know that they always have your back. Whether it's to cover for you, to comfort you, or to push you, they are your biggest supporter. Siblings share a special bond that I never got to experience. While yes my friends and parents always supported me, there's something special about growing up with someone that shares your blood, that's about your age, and who's always there no matter what.