Project Semicolon and Suicide Awareness

Project Semicolon and Suicide Awareness

How you can show support for someone who struggles with depression

154
Project Semicolon and Suicide Awareness
Project Semicolon

Hopefully most people have heard of the semicolon project, for those who haven’t: the project is simply to draw a semicolon on your wrist because a semicolon is used in place of a conjunction so instead of ending a sentence the writer continues. This is a comparison to when someone wanted to end their life but decided not to and continued their life instead. The project was started in 2013 and since then has grown tremendously. Now people are often getting the semicolon tattooed on their body, most still getting it on their wrist, but now because many people cannot have tattoos visible for work (which is a whole separate issue) they are getting them virtually anywhere on their body.

Most people have in some way been touched by suicide, maybe no one they know directly, but perhaps a friend who knows someone who has committed suicide and it affects them greatly. My life has been affected immensely by suicide, starting at a pretty young age. July 2007 my cousin Joey committed suicide. Now this was the summer after I got out of 4th grade and I think my family is still surprised about how much I remember about him and miss him. I’m not very good at facial recognition at all, but his face I still remember clearly. Perhaps because it was really my first time dealing with death at an age in which I could comprehend it. It is not something I really talk about too much with people. After I got into high school too many times have people close to me attempted suicide and too many times have close friends of my friends (although I might not have really knew them myself) committed suicide. Too many times have I myself tried ending it. The biggest factor in me not going through with it was because I know what it feels like to lose someone that way and I do not want to pass that pain onto anyone else. Depression is a disease and those who fight it are all wonderful survivors, yet they still have to fight against stigmas in this day. Project semicolon is a beautiful was to show your support.

Now, the most popular time to get the semicolon tattoo is in September because that is suicide prevention month, but for those of you who live in the Buffalo area on November 5th (a Saturday) Cowpok is doing a semicolon special. Both locations (177 Elmwood Ave in Buffalo and 5651 Main Street, Williamsville) are doing $40 semicolon tattoos and 50% of the money will be going to Crisis Services of WNY. For more information about specifics visit their website: http://www.cowpok.com/ and go under blogs. Last year they were able to donate $5000 and are hoping to donate more this year. So come out, make a difference, and showcase a beautiful new tattoo symbolizing strength.