progressive candidates that created the political revolution

3 Progressive Candidates Contributing To The Political Revolution

The candidates that are out to change America.

369
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bmt3ww_n5lz/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1rl4mbcenl5c6
@andrewgillum instagram

Andrew Gillum is the candidate that won out of nowhere. The predicted polls had him in third place with Graham or Levine winning the democratic vote. It's a moment that will be remembered forever in Florida's history and America's history.

Andrew is the first black gubernatorial nominee in the state of Florida. This is huge.

The country is becoming more and more progressive with citizens but not in the big house. The people are demanding change after this term with President Donald Trump. In these primary and upcoming general elections, a lot of candidates have come out and they're the most progressive we've ever seen. Some of the candidates have become icons whether they win or lose.

3 Progressive Candidates Contributing to the Political Revolution:

1.  Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez for Congress, New York.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is running a campaign in New York for Congress NY-14, includes East Bronx, Northern Queens, and Rikers Island. Alexandria is from the Bronx, NY. Originally, she is an educator, organizer, and Democratic-Socialist. She's ready to tackle "the corrupting big money." She prides herself on running her campaign that's funded 100% by the people. "No corrupt political machines, no big money PACS, and no back-door lobbyist." She wants to fix the education and the healthcare system making it better for people and their housing, jobs, and civil rights.

Her platform includes Medicare for all, as a human right, a peace economy, a federal jobs guarantee, gun control/assault weapons ban, criminal justice reform, immigration justice/abolish ice, solidarity with Puerto Rico, mobilizing against climate change, clean campaign finance, higher education, women's rights, support lgbtqia+, support senior and curb Wall Street gambling. Alexandria is a candidate, no matter if she wins or health care, will have made a significant impact on politics, which she is already doing.

2.  Cynthia Nixon for Governor, New York.

Cynthia Nixon

Cynthia Nixon. Yes, that's right, Cynthia Nixon from "Sex and the City" is running for governor of New York. The cultural icon Miranda Hobbes is running for governor of NY. This campaign has received lots of exposure due not just from her celebrity fame, but for what she stands for. Cynthia Nixon has always been a huge contributor to the lgbtqia+ community. She also, for the last 17 years, has fought for better schools and education funding and is a spokesperson for the Alliance for Quality Education. She stands for educational and racial justice in New York state.

Cynthia is a long time Democrat. Her stances for New York include an education plan, fixing the subway, single-payer health care, reproductive freedom, universal rent control, a fair economy for all, climate justice, justice for all, legalizing marijuana, disability rights, immigrant rights, ending corruption by having a government for the people, and democracy for all. Cynthia Nixon is once again, a cultural icon, but not she will be a cultural icon for more than just "Sex and the City."

3.  Andrew Gillum for Governor, Florida.

Andrew Gillum

Andrew Gillum was the candidate mentioned prior at the beginning of this article who just won the Democratic primary election in Florida. He will be the Democratic candidate running against Ron Desantis. Elections are on November 6th, 2018. It became national news that Andrew won. Again, he wasn't predicted as the winner but in the end, he came out as the man who changed it all. Andrew Gillum is the current mayor of Tallahassee, FL. This family man stands for a new approach to solving Florida's problems and to "get our government back on track." He even is endorsed by Bernie Sanders who toured with him at his rallies before Primary Election day.

Gillum's stances include criminal justice reform, economy and jobs, education, environment, gun safety, healthcare, immigration, LGBTQ equality, Puerto Rico, and Women's Rights. His websites say, "Florida can finally confront the challenges we've shrunk from over the past 20 years: rebuilding our economy, revitalizing public education, protecting and expanding health care access, and addressing our climate change crisis with a clean energy economy." Andrew has already made history and is the change a lot of Floridians want and need.

These candidates are just three of the many who are the progressive outlook that this country desperately needs. Donald Trump has made a lot of American's upset. It doesn't matter what party you support, these elections matter for the entire country. Voting and volunteering are so extremely important. Again, no matter what your values are, who you support, and what candidates you support, elections matter so much. If you want your voice heard then go out and do what you can.

For ways to help in the election, refer back to my prior article "5 Ways You Can Contribute To Your Local Election Besides Just Voting" and check out progressive candidates endorsed by Our Revolution.