Procrastination Review: Dave Chappelle's Electrifying Night on SNL

Chappelle's return to TV exceeded everyone's expectations

23

Saturday Night Live has been on a roll this season, with it's string of impressive hosts (Lin-Manuel Miranda, Margot Robbie and Tom Hanks) and great sketches. It came to no surprise that SNL has brought comedy legend Dave Chappelle along with musical guest and a triumphant return to music, A Tribe Called Quest for their latest November episode.

This post-election episode was most anticipated one because this was Chappelle’s first time hosting the show since he starred and hosted his mainstream program Chappelle Show in 2003. Expectations were high on that Saturday (Nov. 12th) and Chappelle has, if not already, exceeded them. SNL provided new materials that could be discussed in the future such as intersectionality portrayed on TV.

While there were fumbles during the show (“Inside SNL”), Chappelle still carried the show. The show’s quality of sketches were solid from start to finish, including a sketch that featured a special appearance from SNL alum and comedian Chris Rock. It was a successful night for Chappelle as a first--time host, that some might think he had hosted before.

A Tribe Called Quest did not disappoint either. Performed “The Space Program” and “We The People,” the legendary hip--hop group got the audience on their feet as they rapped their politically charged songs on xenophobia, racism and homophobia with a powerful posthumous verse by their late-member Phife Dawg who died in March due to complications with diabetes.

SNL brought in laughs with its bold jokes, outstanding performance and a nostalgic short for you all Chappelle Show fans.

There are some highlights from the show that might go viral on YouTube. Sure it may not be a viral hit like Tom Hanks’ David S. Pumpkins but these Chappelle sketches are still notable to watch again.

Post-Election Cold Opening

The night opened with no comedy, anger or Alec Baldwin appearance as Donald Trump. It opened with Kate McKinnon as Hilary Clinton and sang “Hallelujah” while playing the piano. During that week, it was announced that singer and songwriter Leonard Cohen passed away at the age of 82, around the same time as Donald Trump became America’s next President-elect.

That opening was emotional and impactful for those who were going through a hard time with the news. McKinnon ended her rendition of Cohen’s hit by telling the audience she won’t give up, then encouraged them to not “give up” either.

Dave Chappelle Monologue

When someone booked Chappelle for a stand-up comedy return, it was a big deal. When someone booked Chappelle to host and do a stand-up routine on a platform like SNL was a huge deal. The comedy legend delivered his material during his stand-up without missing a beat. SNL was a fantastic stage for those who may not have had the chance to see him live or binge--watch the Chappelle Show. Chappelle, indeed, delivered his monologue.

With a mic already in his hand, Chappelle opened his monologue with his perspective of the election results and did not hold anything back. “I did suspect it. Seemed like Hillary was doing well at the polls, and yet, I know the whites. You guys aren’t as full of surprises as you used to be.”

With a booming sound of laughs, Chappelle ended his monologue with his experience at a recent BET-sponsored event at the White House. He expressed his hope for America during his final portion of his monologue. “I'm wishing Donald Trump luck. I'm gonna give him a chance, and, we the historically disenfranchised demand that he give us one too.” His words provided encouragement for the next four years.

The Walking Dead Chappelle

For any Chappelle Show and Walking Dead fan, Chappelle brought back a number of his characters from his old Comedy Central show including a white--faced Chappelle and Crackhead as they waited their fate in the hands of Chappelle’s sinister leader, Neagan. With great timing on jokes, “The Walking Dead Chappelle” was a solid sketch for nostalgic feelings of what could’ve been used in another season on Chappelle Show.

Election Night

As Rolling stones described in their review, “Election Night” was one of the boldest sketches on the show. “Election Night” provided two different perspectives through a group of friends, who supported Clinton, during election night. A group of white friends (Beck Bennett, Vanessa Bayer, Cecily Strong, and Aidy Brynat) panicked as Clinton was losing to Trump while Chappelle and Rock who already knew how this election would end.

While the pacing of the sketch was slow due to its “every half-hour” transition, it's narrative on racism and the reaction of the elections captured today’s issues on space for intersectional voices. If SNL continues going to the direction right now, this might revamp the long--running series with its outdated running jokes such as male cast members dressing up as women. Hopefully, this may bring in more inclusive narrative on SNL.

Love And Leslie

Just because I love Leslie Jones.