7 Reasons To Love Saturday Night Live

7 Reasons To Love Saturday Night Live

It is a crucial part of life

173
7 Reasons To Love Saturday Night Live

Most people binge-watch Netflix, Hulu or any place they can stream off of, but there is nothing quite as exciting as staying up from 11:30 PM to 1 AM on a Saturday into Sunday watching Saturday Night Live. If you're like me, chances are when you have the luxury of staying in on a Saturday Night by 11:30 you're in bed, so tired that even watching tv is a struggle as you fight to stay awake. Saturday Nigh Live is sketch comedy, and it is even funnier in that half delirious state that every tired person reaches by 1 AM. During the parts of SNL that I've been awake for, here's what I've learned:

1) It is live television.

That means we, the audience, get to enjoy all the pleasures that come with watching sketch comedy live, costume mishaps, stumbling lines, and my favorite: actors cracking up at the hilariousness of the characters' situation.

2) The show overcame it's dark time

What is SNL without Lorne Michaels? The world found that out during the five year period (1980-1985) when Lorne Michaels left to explore other opportunities. It was kind of like SNL's awkward teenage years. Thankfully the magical executive producer returned and all is right with the world.

3) Saturday Night isn't just for Saturdays

If you're like me, going to bed early is a priority. It doesn't happen often so I take advantage of it when I can. That usually means I'm not awake by the time Saturday Night Live airs, luckily I can find the show just about anywhere. On Demand, Netflix, re-runs on VH-1, the options are limitless.

4) Nothing beats SNL during election years

Is it bad I associate Larry David with Bernie Sanders more than Bernie Sanders himself? Probably. Saturday Night Live walks a fine line between humoring all political parties and they do a damn good job.

5) They introduced the world to Tina Fey and Amy Poehler

Thank you Lorne Michaels for hiring the majestic creatures that are Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. They are the epitome of Girl Power BFFs and if they aren't your role models already, they should be. There is no duo more comfortable in their own skin than these two.

6) NBC loves to poke fun at itself

This is one of my favorite types of humor, if they don't break the 4th wall in their jokes they definitely crack it. And SNL isn't the only show they've done this with, check out 30 Rock and Seinfeld.

7) Their cast is incredibly loyal

Which to me, says a lot about the way they run their business. It must be a good place to work. SNL Alum come back regularly. Don't believe me? What their 40th anniversary special. Literally everyone under the sun comes back to show their support to the show and talk about how much they love it.