Procrastination: My Frienemy

Procrastination: My Frienemy

Procrastinators unite...tomorrow.

8
Procrastination: My Frienemy

pro·cras·ti·na·tion
prəˌkrastəˈnāSH(ə)n/
noun
1. the action of delaying or postponing something.

Ah, procrastination. My arch nemesis. My best friend. We've been through so much together. Countless panic-induced assignments, waiting until the last minute to click that daunting "submit" button, justifying one more episode on Netflix, and enjoying the success of a decent grade after cramming for a test. You've been a real life-saver when those deadlines came around, but a real life-stealer when I should've been doing the work all along.

Well, I have news for you, Procrastination. I'm starting to see that maybe our relationship is toxic. After all of the ups and downs we've shared, I'm seeing that the 'downs' have definitely outweighed the 'ups.' You're just not good for me, my future, my goals, my life.

I've realized that those temporary fun devices that you love to distract me with only steal my time. 20 minutes on Youtube easily turns into 3 hours. One episode on Netflix becomes half a season. Looking up one thing on Facebook turns into creeping on my elementary school friend's boyfriend's mother's Aunt Sue who I don't even know. These distractions suck the hours from my days, the life from my soul, and the impact of my efforts to change the world.

We've had fun discovering new shows--and finishing 5 seasons in 2 days. We've had fun sleeping too long and putting off emails. We've had fun constantly planning for tomorrow. Tomorrow, I'll get my life together. Tomorrow, I'll wake up early to exercise. Tomorrow, I'll look into career options for my degree. Tomorrow, I'll conquer the world.

But why not today? Why not conquer the world today? No answer, Procrastination? Typical. Oh, so typical. Your antics are admirable, but I refuse to stay in this vicious cycle that you've created. I refuse to adhere to this slacker mentality that I've allowed to engulf my life. I'm breaking free of the cycle, I'm getting away. And not tomorrow, but today.